What is the Definition of Current?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving Kirchhoff's laws and the confusion surrounding the concept of current flow without a potential difference. The experts explain that current flow only occurs when there is a difference in potential and that Ohm's law can provide a way to determine the resistance in this type of scenario. The idea of a superconductor is also introduced to help clarify the concept of current flow without a voltage.
al_famky
While doing some questions using Kirchhoff's laws, I came across this problem, as shown in the picture.
Obviously, no current passes through the 5 ohm resistor. But then I get confused.

1) If "no current" passed through the branch, wouldn't that be as if the branch weren't there? that would mean that two 1ohm resistors are connected in series and then parallel to each other.

However, we could also see the circuit as if the two middle nodes were collapsed together, leaving us with a parallel combination of two 1 ohm resistors on the left and two on the right.
This would work, because there is no potential difference across the 5 ohm resistor---but does that mean there isn't any current flow?

2) Take a piece of wire AB (in the picture) for example, there is no potential difference between the two points, but does that mean there is no current flow?

Current flow happens only when there is a difference in potential, but the definition of current is Coloumbs per second which has no reference to potential at all...

So could someone who's good with definitions help me out? Thank you.

Attachments

• SAM_1489.jpg
    SAM_1489.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
I think what you're missing is ohm's law, that relates current, potential, and resistance: E = I * R
Basically, ohm's law says that if there's no potential, there's no current, period. You are right that this can be solved without kirchhoffs laws, though you may want to practice using them anyways.

For your second question, consider rearranging Ohm's law, such that it's now E / R = I. Between A and B, there is no potential, but also no resistance, so you end up with 0 / 0, which is undefined; it tells you nothing. You have to consider the voltage drop across a component, rather than a random piece of wire.

al_famky said:
While doing some questions using Kirchhoff's laws, I came across this problem, as shown in the picture.
Obviously, no current passes through the 5 ohm resistor. But then I get confused.

1) If "no current" passed through the branch, wouldn't that be as if the branch weren't there? that would mean that two 1ohm resistors are connected in series and then parallel to each other.
There is no current because there is no voltage. If you are trying to determine the resistance of this configuration you have to pretend there is a voltage applied somewhere and work out the current that flows. I am not sure what you are trying to do.

However, we could also see the circuit as if the two middle nodes were collapsed together, leaving us with a parallel combination of two 1 ohm resistors on the left and two on the right.
This would work, because there is no potential difference across the 5 ohm resistor---but does that mean there isn't any current flow?
Where is the applied voltage?

2) Take a piece of wire AB (in the picture) for example, there is no potential difference between the two points, but does that mean there is no current flow?
If there is current and no potential difference then there is 0 resistance. That is just Ohm's law: R = V/I

Current flow happens only when there is a difference in potential, but the definition of current is Coloumbs per second which has no reference to potential at all...
Current does not strictly require a potential difference. Current consists of moving charges. Once charges start moving if there is no resistance to flow, they keep moving. You can keep a current flowing in a superconductor after you remove the voltage.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
There is no current because there is no voltage. If you are trying to determine the resistance of this configuration you have to pretend there is a voltage applied somewhere and work out the current that flows. I am not sure what you are trying to do.

Current does not strictly require a potential difference. Current consists of moving charges. Once charges start moving if there is no resistance to flow, they keep moving. You can keep a current flowing in a superconductor after you remove the voltage.

Well, what I'm trying to do...is actually what i couldn't wrap my head around in my former question "Kirchoff's Loop Rule--Direction of Current?", which you helped me answer for the most part, thank you very much.
however, i still have a slight problem, and I posted it on the other question, hopefully you'll answer if you have time.
the superconductor is an interesting way of thinking of things, that helps me clear up some of the confusion. physics is so abstract for me, and i keep trying to delve into all the miniscule details.
Thank you for your explanations.

FireStorm000 said:
For your second question, consider rearranging Ohm's law, such that it's now E / R = I. Between A and B, there is no potential, but also no resistance, so you end up with 0 / 0, which is undefined; it tells you nothing. You have to consider the voltage drop across a component, rather than a random piece of wire.
that makes sense. Thank you.

al_famky said:
Well, what I'm trying to do...is actually what i couldn't wrap my head around in my former question "Kirchoff's Loop Rule--Direction of Current?", which you helped me answer for the most part, thank you very much.
oops, I got confused and mixed people up...sorry for the confusion, I wasn't paying attention...forget i said anything

What is the definition of current?

Current is defined as the flow of electric charge per unit time. It is measured in amperes (A) and is represented by the symbol "I".

How is current different from voltage?

Voltage is the measure of electric potential difference between two points, while current is the rate at which electric charge flows through a conductor. In other words, voltage is the force that pushes the electric charge, while current is the actual flow of charge.

What is the unit of measurement for current?

The unit of measurement for current is amperes (A). It is named after the French scientist Andre-Marie Ampere, who is known for his contributions to the study of electromagnetism.

What affects the flow of electric current?

The flow of electric current can be affected by factors such as the resistance of the conductor, the voltage applied, and the temperature of the conductor. The type of material and its thickness can also impact the flow of current.

Why is current important?

Current is an essential concept in understanding electricity and is used in various applications such as powering electronics, generating light and heat, and transmitting information. It is also crucial in safety measures and understanding the potential hazards of electric shock.