What is the Derivative of arcsec(sqrt(x))?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gr3g1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 14K views
gr3g1
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Hmmm, I don't seem to get it..

y' of arcsecx is : (1/x * sqrt(x^2 - 1))

im looking for arcsec(sqrt(x))

So I get (1/(sqrt(x)sqrt(x-1)) * 1/2sqrt(x))


Thats not the answer in the book :(

Help please
 
Physics news on Phys.org
thanks for the reply!

The answer given is : 1 / (2x * sqrt(x-1))
 
Look closely, your answer is actually the same as the book's.

Edit: At least I think it is, unless I'm misinterpreting your answer.
 
Last edited:
Hmmm, I don't see it.. and i substitued X by a number, and it gives me 2 different answers
 
Is your answer [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}\sqrt{x - 1}}\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{x}}[/tex] or something else?
 
Well, it is the same then. Just combine the two square roots of x to obtain
[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{x}\sqrt{x - 1}}\frac{1}{2 \sqrt{x}} = \frac{1}{2 x \sqrt{x - 1}}.[/tex]