What is the difference between geometric series and laurent series?

In summary, the difference between geometric series and Laurent series is that a Laurent series has both positive and negative powers of the variable while a geometric series has only positive powers. To multiply/divide two series with each other, one can use a power expansion of the series and cancel out terms. To get a certain number of positive powers of the variable in the expansion, one has to carefully select the number of terms in the powers of the series. Expanding a geometric series of 1/(1-f(x)) can be used to find coefficients for powers of the variable. In order to get a proper Laurent series, one must ensure that there are both positive and negative powers of the variable and take into account the constant term. Additionally, the Taylor
Mappe
I don't quite understand a few details here. First, What is the difference between geometric series and laurent series? Than, how do I multiply/divide 2 series with each other? Finally, I have this problem, and I'm really clueless as of what to do.

Turn 1/(1-cos(z)) into a laurent series.

Physics news on Phys.org
I really don't want to do this one. It's perfectly straightforward, it's just a pain in the neck to get the coefficients. Power expand cos(x) and cancel the 1. Factor the z^2 out of the numerator. Now you have (2/z^2)*(1/1-f(z)) where f(z) is a power series in z. Use a geometric expansion of (1/(1-f(z))=1+f(z)+f(z)^2+... Now to get a certain number of positive powers of z in the expansion you have to judiciously pick how many terms in the powers of f(z) you need to get to coefficients of the powers of z right.

Mappe said:
I don't quite understand a few details here. First, What is the difference between geometric series and laurent series?
A Laurent series has both positive and negative powers of the variable while the geometric series has just positive powers.

Vela may have thought you were comparing a Laurent series to a Taylor's series (which you probably intended).

A "geometric series" is not even a series of functions, but a numerical series:
A geometric series is always of the form
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty a r^n[/tex]
where a and r are given numbers.

A "power series" is a series of functions, each of the form \(\displaystyle a_nx^n\) for each "a_n" a number and x a variable. A "Taylor's series", for a specific function, is a power series with specific coefficients, [itex]f^{(n)}(x_0)/n![/itex]. Even if we take the "r" in the geometric series to be a variable, we get a power series specifically of the form [itex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty ax^n[/itex] which is the Taylor's series for a/(1- x) around 0.

A "Laurent" series is like a Taylor's series with negative as well as positive exponents.

HallsofIvy said:
Vela may have thought you were comparing a Laurent series to a Taylor's series (which you probably intended).

Yes, indeed. I should be more careful with the terminology. Thanks for clarifying.

Thanks. I tried this way of solving above, and now I get a sum in a sum. And its from 0 -> inf. This isn't a proper laurentseries, is it? Also, I didn't understand the coefficient for powers of z stuff. And choosing number of terms? Can I not just expand it as it is right now, a geometric series of 1/(1-(series:cos(z)))?

Now you know why Dick didn't want to do it. :) It does sound like you're doing it correctly so far. Now you have to multiply everything out and collect terms. It's not really feasible to do it in general, so in practice, you decide that you want, say, the first 4 terms, which for your problem are the [tex]z^{-2}, z^{-1}, z^0,[/tex] and [tex]z^1[/tex] terms. You have to figure out where all the contributions for those powers of z will come from.

OK, but the series I come up with doesn't give any z^-1 terms, as it's one taylor expansion of cos, goes from 0 -> inf, and one geometric series of 1/(1-f(x)), goes from 0 -> inf. That is, no -inf. And the cos series only produces even number powered z:s. And is there any easy rules for finding coefficients for sum in sum?

Mappe said:
OK, but the series I come up with doesn't give any z^-1 terms, as it's one taylor expansion of cos, goes from 0 -> inf, and one geometric series of 1/(1-f(x)), goes from 0 -> inf. That is, no -inf. And the cos series only produces even number powered z:s. And is there any easy rules for finding coefficients for sum in sum?
I have no idea what you are doing here. If your series has no negative powers in it, then its value at z= 0 is just its constant term (or 0 if there is no constant term). But 1/(1- cos(z)) is not defined at z= 0.

How, exactly, did you use the Taylor's series for cos(x) and 1/(1-x)?

Here is how:
[tex]\sum 1/(1-cos(x))[/tex] = [tex]\sum 1/(1-(\sum(-1)^n(x)^{2n}/(2n!)))[/tex] = [tex]\sum(\sum(-1)^n(x)^{2n-2}/((2n-2)!))^m[/tex]

hope it doesn't look like a mess :)

Last edited by a moderator:
ohh. it did

with ordinary letters:

1/(1-cos(x)) = 1/(1-E(-1)^n*x^(2n)/(2n!)) = 2*E(E((-1)^n*x^(2n-2))/((2n+2)!))^m

where both E's (sums) goes from 0 -> inf, and m is for the outer sum.

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers where each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant number, known as the common ratio. The series has a specific pattern where each term is a multiple of the previous term.

2. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of power series that includes both positive and negative powers of the variable, unlike a geometric series which only has positive powers. It is used to represent functions that are not analytic at certain points, such as poles or branch points.

3. How are geometric and Laurent series different?

The main difference between geometric and Laurent series is the range of powers included in the series. A geometric series only has positive powers while a Laurent series has both positive and negative powers. Additionally, geometric series have a constant common ratio while Laurent series have coefficients that can vary.

4. What are some applications of geometric series?

Geometric series have many practical applications, including calculating compound interest in finance, modeling population growth in biology, and determining the sum of an infinite series in mathematics. They are also used in physics to model the behavior of waves and in computer science for compression algorithms.

5. In what situations would you use a Laurent series?

Laurent series are typically used in complex analysis to represent functions that have poles or branch points. They are also useful in solving differential equations and studying the behavior of functions near singularities. In physics, Laurent series are used to describe the behavior of physical systems with energy levels that can have both positive and negative values.