What is the difference between impedance and admittance?

• Thread starter JohnSimpson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impedance
In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of impedance and admittance in a circuit with an inductor and resistor. In the case of R=0, the admittance simplifies to -j/(ωL) and can be broken into conductance and susceptance. However, there is confusion about the definition of G and when it is applicable in this scenario. It is also noted that admittances in parallel simply add and if G=infinity, it would indicate a short circuit across the inductor.
JohnSimpson
I have somehow worked myself into a mental loop that I need a push to break out of.

Consider an inductor in series with a resistor. In sinusoidal steady state, the combination has an impedance Z = R + jωL. The admittance is given by (1/Z) = (R-jωL)/(R2+(ωL)2), and if R is zero, it is simply -j/(ωL) as expected. But the admittance can be broken into conductance and suseptance, so the calculated admittance Y = G+jB = 0 - j/(ωL).
But I was expecting G = infinity!

Clearly I am confusing exactly how and when these quantities are defined. Any help would be appreciated.

-John

Engineering news on Phys.org
That's a good one. But think of if R=0, you only have an inductor

[tex]Z_L=jωL\;\Rightarrow Y_L=\frac 1 {jωL}=-\frac j {ωL}[/tex]

There should be no G. You don't even have R in the equation!

So is a G only defined if you have an R, or is an R only defined when you have a finite G?

I guess I would like a clear and unambiguous mathematical definition of how and when R,X,G, and B are defined.

(I have read statements before such as one cannot always define an impedance and admittance matrix simultaneously, for example, a short circuit has no well defined admittance matrix, so I believe my question is a simpler case of this)

JohnSimpson said:
Consider an inductor in series with a resistor. In sinusoidal steady state, the combination has an impedance Z = R + jωL. The admittance is given by (1/Z) = (R-jωL)/(R2+(ωL)2), and if R is zero, it is simply -j/(ωL) as expected. But the admittance can be broken into conductance and suseptance, so the calculated admittance Y = G+jB = 0 - j/(ωL).
But I was expecting G = infinity!
Let's see whether you can get me just as confused.

Admittances in parallel simply add. So G+jB is a resistor in parallel with a reactance.
If the resistor is of infinite Ohms (i.e., a perfect insulator) then G=0.
If G=infinity then you would be talking about a short circuit across the inductor.

Related to What is the difference between impedance and admittance?

What is impedance?

Impedance is a measure of the total opposition to the flow of an alternating electrical current in a circuit. It takes into account both the resistance and reactance of the circuit.

What is the difference between impedance and resistance?

Resistance is a measure of the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC), while impedance takes into account the opposition to the flow of alternating current (AC), which includes both resistance and reactance.

What is admittance?

Admittance is the inverse of impedance, and is a measure of the ease with which an AC current can flow through a circuit. It is the sum of conductance and susceptance.

How are impedance and admittance related?

Impedance and admittance are mathematically related as they are reciprocals of each other. This means that as impedance increases, admittance decreases and vice versa.

What are some applications of impedance and admittance?

Impedance and admittance are important concepts in electrical engineering and are used in various applications, such as designing electronic filters, analyzing power systems, and measuring the performance of antennas and transmission lines.