Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What's the difference between series an parallel components in the pictures

1. Feb 15, 2017 #1
    hi;
    When I study - if we want to connect impedance in the case of: - we connect the R4 and (R1+(R2||R3)) as parallels
    upload_2017-2-15_18-33-5.png

but when we want the get impedance of C and R of the right: - we connect that as series: Z(of C)+R .. why the different? please help!
    upload_2017-2-15_18-37-10.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Because inductance and resistance are different things and you cannot combine them as exactly the same the way you can when everything is just resistances.

4. Feb 15, 2017 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

In the 2nd circuit, it's not clear what you are trying to solve for. In general, that circuit will not combine down to a simple component or two. Could you label the different components with different numbers (so each resistor has a different number, etc.), and ask what you would like to be able to solve for in the circuit?

5. Feb 15, 2017 #4
    upload_2017-2-15_18-57-18.png
    I want to find a simple arranged of total impedance on the
    different circuit 1 (all R) and 2 (with the C and L).

in case 1 told me that R4 and (R1+(R2||R3)) as parallels. and in case 2 impedance R1 and impedance C is series. but I think about it if I will connect something to the Terminals the connection of R1 and C is like a Δ transform with R2 no?

(may that matter what the purpose of tow cases - case 1 what the total R , and case 2 what the transfer function. If that matter i want to know why)

6. Feb 15, 2017 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

The impedance for circuit 2 looking into which 2 nodes? It makes a difference... :smile:

7. Feb 15, 2017 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

No. Please reread post #2 and try to understand it.

Do you understand that the impedance of inductors and capacitors depends on the frequency, whereas the impedance of a resistor does not?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted