What is the difference between polysaccharides and lipids?

• Thread starter Frigus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of biomolecules, specifically lipids and carbohydrates. While lipids are defined based on their property of being insoluble in water, carbohydrates are defined based on their structure. However, the classification of biomolecules is not a perfect system and is subject to change as new information is discovered. It is important to remember that these classifications are created by humans and are not set in stone. One's definition or classification may not be considered "wrong," but it may be more useful or accurate than others.
Frigus
We have defined lipids as"molecules which are insoluble in water"then why don't we consider polysaccharide as lipids as polysaccharides are insoluble in water and also on the basis of what these biomolecules are classified,
We say that carbohydrates are polyhydroxy ketones/aldehydes and lipids are molecules which are insoluble in water. It makes no sense to me as one is defined in the basis of structure and other is defined on the basis of its property,I can't find any solid foundation to classify them.

Thanks

Biology news on Phys.org
Lipids are usually defined as substances which aren’t water-soluble, but are organic-soluble. So lipids dissolve in oil or other non-aqueous solvents. Polysaccharides which are insoluble in water are often insoluble in everything else as well—they’re insoluble by virtue of their molecular weight, not their chemical nature.

• Informative
Likes sysprog, MalcolmB, hutchphd and 2 others
TeethWhitener said:
Lipids are usually defined as substances which aren’t water-soluble, but are organic-soluble. So lipids dissolve in oil or other non-aqueous solvents. Polysaccharides which are insoluble in water are often insoluble in everything else as well—they’re insoluble by virtue of their molecular weight, not their chemical nature.
Thanks a lot sir,
But what if we found a carbohydrate that is insoluble in water due to its chemical properties.

Carbohydrates are literally hydrates of carbon, with a general formula of Cn(H2O)m.

The classification of biomolecules into lipids vs carbohydrates vs amino acids was built up historically based on various experimentally observed properties of the species, rather than structure. It’s turned out to be fortuitously useful, as lipids which seem totally unrelated at first glance (fatty acids vs steroids) are actually somewhat related by their biosynthetic pathway: molecules like cholesterol are synthesized in the body via a cyclization reaction of an acyclic terpenoid, another lipid and a (branched) fatty acid phosphate ester.

Likes sysprog and BillTre
Also, polysaccharides are polymers of monosaccharides. So if a molecule can be hydrolyzed to monosaccharide carbohydrates, it can be classified as a polysaccharide.

Last edited:
Likes Frigus
TeethWhitener said:
classification of biomolecules into lipids vs carbohydrates vs amino acids was built up historically based on various experimentally observed properties
Isn't carbohydrates are structurally defined and lipids on the basis of property then how can we say that these are classified on the basis on property.

@Hemant - These definitions are not meant to be taken the way you seem to want: completely perfect

Science changes over time as we learn more. Since you are sort of fixated on this definition, let's try a completely different set of examples.

Definition: Pandas (big black and white, mostly arboreal bear-like animals) were classified as bears. Now we know. They are not even closely related to bears.

Definition: Lotus plants are very like water lilies. So the lotus was classified with water lilies. Now. Turns out it is related to only one other living plant - the plane tree.

So what am I trying to get you to see?

Humans make definitions - Nature does not care at all about our definitions. Take a definition as just that - arbitrary. Not always perfect. But useful. Look up the 'Playfair axiom' to see how different definitions (axioms) can all be correct. And useful. Nature is in charge.

Likes sysprog, BillTre and Frigus
Oh. Another change. Thanks @Bystander my Panda example was wrong. Which proves the point:
our definitions are arbitrary.

Likes BillTre, Frigus and Bystander
jim mcnamara said:
@Hemant - These definitions are not meant to be taken the way you seem to want: completely perfect

Science changes over time as we learn more. Since you are sort of fixated on this definition, let's try a completely different set of examples.

Definition: Pandas (big black and white, mostly arboreal bear-like animals) were classified as bears. Now we know. They are not even closely related to bears.

Definition: Lotus plants are very like water lilies. So the lotus was classified with water lilies. Now. Turns out it is related to only one other living plant - the plane tree.

So what am I trying to get you to see?

Humans make definitions - Nature does not care at all about our definitions. Take a definition as just that - arbitrary. Not always perfect. But useful. Look up the 'Playfair axiom' to see how different definitions (axioms) can all be correct. And useful. Nature is in charge.
According to me classifications can not be be wrong.
Like if we say carbohydrates are group of biomolecules that have some same properties and similarly their is another group lipids which have some properties so we have grouped them together then how one can say that the person who had classified them have classified it wrong as he/she had just observed properties or structure or some other thing and then placed them.one classification can be more useful than other but not any classification can be wrong.in this case I can't find any basis of classification which is the thing I can't understand.

Last edited:
TeethWhitener said:
It was just my reasoning.
I was not against the point that we can't classify things again,I was saying that if we classify things on different basis then one classification can be more useful than another.can you please tell me on basis of what biomolecules are classified.you have told that biomolecules are classified on the basis of functions but different groups of biomolecules are not defined on the basis of one thing like structure,property.
Thanks.

Hemant said:
It was just my reasoning.
I was not against the point that we can't classify things again,I was saying that if we classify things on different basis then one classification can be more useful than another.can you please tell me on basis of what biomolecules are classified.you have told that biomolecules are classified on the basis of functions but different groups of biomolecules are not defined on the basis of one thing like structure,property.
Thanks.
I’m not sure what answer you’re looking for beyond what I’ve already provided in post 2. Lipids are biomolecules that are soluble in nonpolar solvents. There are other classification schemes that separate lipids along other lines (fatty acids vs wax esters vs steroids, etc.).

Likes Frigus and sysprog
He wants something like: all lipids have carboxyl groups. Which does not always work of course. He wants a structural definition for lipids to fit differentiating it from all possible biomolecules. First off, we do not even know absolutely all of the biomolecules, so it is logically impossible.

At the risk of further failure: https://dlc.dcccd.edu/biology1-3/lipids

Please.
Read the first sentence of the lesson. It begins with the word 'Unlike'. You should completely disregard any other ideas from sources that disagree, if you want to make it in Biology courses. Or Biochem, or Biophysics.

I stop here.

Likes Frigus, TeethWhitener and sysprog
TeethWhitener said:
Also, polysaccharides are polymers of monosaccharides. So if a molecule can be hydrolysis to monosaccharide carbohydrates, it can be classified as a polysaccharide.
I presume that you meant 'hydrolyzed', or 'by hydrolysis converted'

Last edited:
Likes TeethWhitener
Fixed.

Likes sysprog
TeethWhitener said:
Fixed.
I fixed my spelling, too, Sir . . .

Thanks,
I tried to make sense of it with help of you and it is as follows,
We have classified carbohydrates as polyhydroxy ketone/aldehydes and lipids as molecules insoluble in water or soluble in organic solvents and due to this classification majority of biomolecules fall in these categories and we have few exceptions and it is more useful to classify them as we have done now.

Thank again

Likes sysprog
Hemant said:
Thanks,
I tried to make sense of it with help of you and it is as follows,
We have classified carbohydrates as polyhydroxy ketone/aldehydes and lipids as molecules insoluble in water or soluble in organic solvents and due to this classification majority of biomolecules fall in these categories and we have few exceptions and it is more useful to classify them as we have done now.

Thank again
Lipoprotein analysis is a set of disciplines; it's a large area of study; it's not something that can be well summarized on a single page -- it's more like a wall of bookshelves -- we still don't understand it as well as we need to -- reading the work of others on it is challenging, and doing the research yourself is daunting -- I'm not saying don't try it, but please understand, it's far from easy.

Likes Frigus

Related to What is the difference between polysaccharides and lipids?

What is the difference between polysaccharides and lipids?

Polysaccharides and lipids are two types of biomolecules found in living organisms. They have different structures and functions, which sets them apart from each other.

How are the structures of polysaccharides and lipids different?

Polysaccharides are long chains of monosaccharide units linked together by glycosidic bonds. They have a linear or branched structure and are typically hydrophilic. In contrast, lipids are composed of fatty acids and glycerol molecules. They have a hydrophobic region and a hydrophilic head, giving them a distinct amphipathic structure.

What are the main functions of polysaccharides and lipids?

Polysaccharides serve as a source of energy and provide structural support in cells. They also play a role in cell recognition and communication. Lipids, on the other hand, are primarily involved in energy storage, insulation, and protection of organs. They also make up the cell membrane and play a role in cell signaling.

How do polysaccharides and lipids differ in terms of solubility?

Polysaccharides are hydrophilic, meaning they are soluble in water. This is due to the presence of many hydroxyl groups in their structure. In contrast, lipids are hydrophobic and do not dissolve in water. They are soluble in nonpolar solvents such as alcohol or ether.

Can polysaccharides and lipids be found in the same molecule?

Yes, some molecules can contain both polysaccharide and lipid components. For example, glycolipids are lipids with attached carbohydrate chains, making them both hydrophobic and hydrophilic. They play a role in cell signaling and recognition.