What is the difference between PP(polypropylene) and CPP?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 7K views
Tae Hwan Kim
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
To my knowledge, CPP means cast-polypropylene, which I've seen used in a coaxial cable. Some cables use CPP as dielectric material. My question is:

1. what is the difference between PP(polypropylene) and CPP?
2. How is CPP made?
3. Is the permittivity and loss tangent of CPP different from that of PP?

thank you. :)
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Tae Hwan Kim said:
I've seen used in a coaxial cable.
What manufacturer and part number?
I'm familiar with PE and TFE, but have never seen coax using a PP dielectric core.
 
Asymptotic said:
What manufacturer and part number?
I'm familiar with PE and TFE, but have never seen coax using a PP dielectric core.
here it is:)
 
Attachments
A manufacturer makes PP core coax cable ...I learn something new every day. :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Tae Hwan Kim
Considering they produce 5km reels this must be done with some type of extrusion process. Casting a 5km part would be difficult to put it mildly.

http://www.profol.com/en/about-cpp-film-faq.html

Based on the information linked above I would guess that there is a post extrusion sizing and cooling die to maintain tighter tolerances vs simple extrusion.

BoB
 
Cellular polypropylene, CPP, with a dielectric constant of about 1.3 is used as a dielectric in some data cables.

Google Books.
Cable Engineering for Local Area Networks. Barry J. Elliott. Page 94.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: rbelli1
Baluncore said:
Cellular polypropylene, CPP,

So is the CPP in the datasheet probably Cellular not Cast?

BoB
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: krater