What is the difference between PP(polypropylene) and CPP?

In summary, CPP (cast-polypropylene) is often used as a dielectric material in coaxial cables, and has a similar dielectric constant to PP (polypropylene). The production process for CPP may involve extrusion and post-extrusion sizing and cooling. It is also referred to as cellular polypropylene in some cases. Its use as a dielectric in data cables is confirmed by sources such as Cable Engineering for Local Area Networks and a VTT research paper.
Tae Hwan Kim
To my knowledge, CPP means cast-polypropylene, which I've seen used in a coaxial cable. Some cables use CPP as dielectric material. My question is:

1. what is the difference between PP(polypropylene) and CPP?
2. How is CPP made?
3. Is the permittivity and loss tangent of CPP different from that of PP?

thank you. :)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Tae Hwan Kim said:
I've seen used in a coaxial cable.
What manufacturer and part number?
I'm familiar with PE and TFE, but have never seen coax using a PP dielectric core.

Asymptotic said:
What manufacturer and part number?
I'm familiar with PE and TFE, but have never seen coax using a PP dielectric core.
here it is:)

Attachments

• COF-2015-104-F-COFDATA-50-031-105.pdf
    427.2 KB · Views: 647
Likes Tae Hwan Kim and Asymptotic
Baluncore said:
CPP = Cast PP
https://www.mitsuichemicals.com/film_cp_cast_polypropylene.htm

There will be little difference in dielectric constant between PP and CPP. They are the same material so the coefficient of thermal expansion will have a greater effect on capacitance than will the production process.

thank you sir :)

A manufacturer makes PP core coax cable ...I learn something new every day. :)

Likes Tae Hwan Kim
Considering they produce 5km reels this must be done with some type of extrusion process. Casting a 5km part would be difficult to put it mildly.

http://www.profol.com/en/about-cpp-film-faq.html

Based on the information linked above I would guess that there is a post extrusion sizing and cooling die to maintain tighter tolerances vs simple extrusion.

BoB

Cellular polypropylene, CPP, with a dielectric constant of about 1.3 is used as a dielectric in some data cables.

Google Books.
Cable Engineering for Local Area Networks.
Barry J. Elliott. Page 94.

Likes rbelli1
Baluncore said:
Cellular polypropylene, CPP,

So is the CPP in the datasheet probably Cellular not Cast?

BoB

Likes krater

Question 1: What is PP(polypropylene)?

PP, or polypropylene, is a type of thermoplastic polymer that is commonly used in packaging, textiles, and other consumer products. It is a versatile and lightweight material that is known for its strength and durability.

Question 2: What is CPP?

CPP, or cast polypropylene, is a type of polypropylene that is produced using a cast film process. This results in a film that is highly transparent, glossy, and has excellent moisture barrier properties. CPP is commonly used in food packaging and other applications where high clarity is desired.

Question 3: What is the difference between PP and CPP?

The main difference between PP and CPP lies in their manufacturing processes and resulting properties. PP is produced using an extrusion process, resulting in a film that is more opaque and has a slightly lower moisture barrier compared to CPP. CPP, on the other hand, is produced using a cast film process, resulting in a film that is highly transparent and has excellent moisture barrier properties.

Question 4: Can both PP and CPP be recycled?

Yes, both PP and CPP can be recycled. However, they may need to be separated and recycled separately because they have different properties and may require different recycling processes.

Question 5: Which is better for packaging - PP or CPP?

The answer to this question depends on the specific needs of the packaging. PP is more commonly used for general packaging applications, while CPP is often used for food packaging or applications that require high transparency and moisture barrier properties. It is important to consider the specific properties and requirements of the packaging when choosing between PP and CPP.