1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the direction of the current (clockwise or counterclockwise)?

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    The question is what is the direction of the current (clockwise or counterclockwise) when the capacitor is being charged by the battery??

If capacitor is charged, does it take electrons from positive to negative?

I am kinda confused. Please help me!!

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2012 #2
    It's kind off hard to answer this question whithout looking at a diagram, but, by convension, the current has always the direction of the movement of positive charges, which means that, when the capacitor is being charged, the current moves "away" of the positive pole on the battery.

Whether this is clockwise or counterclockwise depends on how the diagram is drawn.

4. Jul 19, 2012 #3
    Oh, I answered that the current flows from positive(battery voltage) to positive (top plate of the capacitor) which is clockwise. Is this right??

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4
    Yeah, that's right, the current will flow from the positive end of the battery and will charge the top plate of the capacitor positive too.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook