What is the direction of the force, up or down?

  • Thread starter Thread starter asi123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Direction Force
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
asi123
Messages
254
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



I have 2 mases, m1 and m2, goes up the surface with acceleration "a".
Between the mases there's static friction which cause the power f_s.
My question is, what is the direction of the force, up or down?
I always though that the power should be directed up, because m1 tries to slide back, so f_s has to hold it, but in the solution of this problem they wrote the opposite, so I'm pretty confuse.
10x.

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution

 
Attachments
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 446
Physics news on Phys.org
What's accelerating the blocks up the incline? Is there an applied force? Where is it applied?
 
Yeah, sorry.
Here is a better one.
 
Attachments
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 474
Much better diagram!

asi123 said:
Between the mases there's static friction which cause the power f_s.
My question is, what is the direction of the force, up or down?
That depends on which block you are talking about. m1 and m2 exert equal and opposite friction forces on each other. One force will be up the incline, the other will be down.
 
asi123 said:
I always though that the power should be directed up, because m1 tries to slide back, so f_s has to hold it, but in the solution of this problem they wrote the opposite, so I'm pretty confuse.
You are correct. The friction force on m1 must be directed up the incline.