What is the distance of the image to this lense

• Thread starter xinlan
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, A lens placed at the origin with its axis pointing along the x-axis produces a real inverted image at x = -24 cm that is twice as tall as the object. The image distance (d') is equal to 48 cm.
xinlan

Homework Statement

A lens placed at the origin with its axis pointing along the x-axis produces a real inverted image at x = -24 cm that is twice as tall as the object

What is the image distance?

Homework Equations

m = -d'/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought d=24 cm. and h' = -2h
then use m = h'/h to solve for the m. which I got m = -2.
then I used m = -d'/d
-2 = -d'/24
d' = 48 cm.

I don't know where I did wrong..
please help me..
thanks..

Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind..
I got it.. :)

what did you get wrong>>

1. What is the meaning of "distance of the image to this lens"?

The distance of the image to this lens refers to the distance between the actual image formed by the lens and the lens itself. It is a measurement used to determine the magnification and clarity of the image produced by the lens.

2. How is the distance of the image to this lens measured?

The distance of the image to this lens can be measured using a ruler or caliper to determine the distance between the lens and the image. It is important to take into account any additional elements in between, such as filters or mirrors, which may affect the distance.

3. Does the distance of the image to this lens affect the quality of the image?

Yes, the distance of the image to this lens can greatly impact the quality of the image produced. If the distance is too far, the image may appear blurry or distorted. If the distance is too close, it may result in a magnified or cropped image.

4. How does the distance of the image to this lens relate to the focal length?

The distance of the image to this lens is directly related to the focal length of the lens. The focal length is the distance between the lens and the image when the image is in focus. As the focal length changes, so does the distance of the image to the lens.

5. Can the distance of the image to this lens be changed?

Yes, the distance of the image to this lens can be changed by adjusting the position of the lens or the object being photographed. By moving the lens closer or further away from the object, the distance of the image to the lens can be altered, resulting in a different image and potentially different magnification.