What is the Electric Field at Points 1, 2, and 3 between Two Charged Sheets?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 5K views
abeltyukov
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Hi,

Homework Statement



You've hung two very large sheets of plastic facing each other with distance d between them, as shown in Figure P26.50 ( http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q208/infinitbelt/p26-50-1.gif ... ). By rubbing them with wool and silk, you've managed to give one sheet a uniform surface charge density n1 = -4(n0) and the other a uniform surface charge density n2 = 5(n0). What is the electric field vector at points 1, 2, and 3?2. The attempt at a solution

I drew the force diagrams for the three points but that is where I think I am making my mistake. For example, for point 1, I have a force going to the left from the positive plate and a force going to the right from the negative plate. The difference I get is 1(n0), but that is wrong. Any ideas?Thanks!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the expression (probably in your book?) for the electric field from a uniformly charged sheet. The field at each point is a superposition (sum) of the fields from the two sheets.

For my own clarification; is "n0" a given surface charge density?
 
marcusl said:
Use the expression (probably in your book?) for the electric field from a uniformly charged sheet. The field at each point is a superposition (sum) of the fields from the two sheets.

For my own clarification; is "n0" a given surface charge density?
There is no numerical value given to "n0" in the problem. It is like -4x and 5x.

Thank you for the help!
 
Ok, then the answer will appear as a factor of the electric field from n0.
 
What is the expression for the electric field due to the rectangular sheet?

In my book it is not present. I tried doing the derivation but the integral that I come up with when dividing the sheet into rods doesn't look nice to do. Could you do me the favor and show the expression? Thank you.
 
The field from an infinite sheet with a surface charge density
sigma is
[tex]E=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

EDIT: fix formula. Note, mks units are used.
 
Last edited: