What is the electric field at this point?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the electric field at a distance (b) from a rod with a charge of -3.2 micro-coulombs spread evenly throughout its length (a). The student uses the equation E = kq/r^2 and integrates using the charge density to solve for the electric field. They ask for clarification on the problem's geometry.
Luke0034

Homework Statement

A charge -3.2 micro-coulombs is spread evenly throughout a rod of length (a). At a distance (b) from the rod, what is the electric field?

a = 1.2 m
b = 3.4 m

So basically, you start at zero and then there's a line of charge horizontally to the right from 0 to 1.2 meters, and then at 3.4 meters to the right of the origin there is a point that is distance b away from the end of (a), and I need to find the electric field there.

Homework Equations

E = kq/r^2

charge density = dq/dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I used E = kq/r^2

I knew that the charge density = dq/dx

So I set up the integration like this: E = integral(k/r^2)dq

Then I switched to terms of dx... E = integral((k * charge density)/r^2)dx

Then I plugged in 3.4 + x for r... E = integral((k * charge density)/(3.4 + x)^2)dx

k and the charge density were constants for I pulled the out of the integral and integrated 1/(3.4+x)^2dx from 0 to 1.2. I did used u substitution to do this.I was wondering if I used the correct method here, and if my answer was correct.

I got -1840 N/C

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Luke,
I think you're doing just fine. Why the hesitation ?

Luke0034 said:
At a distance (b) from the rod, what is the electric field?
This is rather vague. You need to specify the geometry more precisely. From where on the rod is (b) measured and in what direction?

1. What is the electric field at this point?

The electric field at a given point is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force that would be experienced by a charged particle at that point. It is represented by a vector, with a magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field calculated?

The electric field at a point can be calculated by dividing the electric force acting on a test charge at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This results in a vector quantity with units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C).

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field?

The strength of the electric field at a point is affected by the magnitude of the source charge, the distance from the source charge, and the medium through which the electric field is propagating. The electric field also follows the inverse square law, meaning it decreases with the square of the distance from the source charge.

4. What is the direction of the electric field?

The direction of the electric field at a point is always in the direction that a positive test charge would be pushed or pulled if placed at that point. In other words, it points away from positive charges and towards negative charges.

5. How is the electric field represented?

The electric field can be represented by using field lines, which show the direction and strength of the electric field at different points. The closer together the field lines are, the stronger the electric field is at that point. The electric field can also be represented by vectors, with the length and direction of the vector indicating the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a point.