What is the equation for tension in a string?

• Thread starter The Sword 88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the equation for tension in a string depends on the type of string and its properties. If it is a string that oscillates and propagates waves, the equation is T=m\frac{\partial^{2}u(x,t)}{\partial t^{2}}, while for a massless string supporting a weight, the tension is simply equal to the weight. For a string with weight density, the equation is μx + W, where μ is the density and x is the distance above the weight.
The Sword 88
My physics book sucks and I can't find the equation for tension in a string, can some one tell me the equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
The Sword 88 said:
My physics book sucks and I can't find the equation for tension in a string, can some one tell me the equation?

What kind of string??Is it one which oscillates,in which mechanical waves propagate??If so,then it should be
[tex]T=m\frac{\partial^{2}u(x,t)}{\partial t^{2}} [/tex]
,where "u" is the amplitude of the wave which propagates along the "x" axis,or it is the coordinate "y" of a point on the string at point "x" at the moment "t".

Daniel.

Or, if the string is massless, hanging from a support and supporting a weight W, then the tension at every point in the string is W. (Your text may have thought you didn't need a formula for that!)

If the string has weight density μ and is supporting weight W, the the tension at a point a distance x above the weight is μx+ W, the total weight below the point.

Related to What is the equation for tension in a string?

1. What is tension in an equation?

Tension is the force or pull that is applied to an object. In equations, tension is represented by the symbol "T" and is measured in units of Newtons (N).

2. How do you calculate tension using equations?

To calculate tension using equations, you need to know the mass of the object (m) and the acceleration due to gravity (g). The equation for tension is T = m x g, where "x" represents multiplication. Plug in the values for mass and acceleration due to gravity to find the tension in Newtons (N).

3. Can tension be negative in an equation?

No, tension cannot be negative in an equation. It is always a positive value because it represents a force or pull on an object. If the calculated tension is negative, it means there is an error in the equation or calculation.

4. How does tension affect an object in equilibrium?

In an object in equilibrium, the forces acting on the object are balanced, meaning there is no net force. Tension is one of the forces that can act on an object in equilibrium. If the tension is greater than the other forces, the object will accelerate in the direction of the tension. If the tension is less than the other forces, the object will decelerate in the opposite direction.

5. Can tension be used to find the weight of an object?

Yes, tension can be used to find the weight of an object. The weight of an object is equal to the force of gravity acting on it, which is represented by the equation W = m x g, where "W" is weight, "m" is mass, and "g" is acceleration due to gravity. Since tension is also a force, it can be substituted for weight in this equation to find the weight of an object.