What is the final pressure in the balloons after being disconnected?

In summary, the question asks for the pressure in two connected balloons after the faucet is opened, assuming a constant temperature. Using the ideal gas law, the pressure can be calculated as 166.67 kPa. The equations for finding the pressure in the second case (disconnected balloons) involve assigning different unknowns for mass and atomic mass, and finding the mass flow rate may also be necessary. However, the question may also be interpreted as asking for the final state after flow has ceased and temperatures have returned to ambient, in which case there is not enough information given to calculate the pressure.
gruba

Homework Statement

Two balloons are connected by a faucet.
Gas in the first balloon is at pressure [itex]p_1=100kPa[/itex], and in the second is [itex]p_2=0,5MPa[/itex].
Volumes are [itex]V_1=0,12m^3[/itex] and [itex]V_2=0,5m^3[/itex].
Temperature of a gas is constant.
Find pressure in balloons [itex]p[/itex] after faucet is opened (balloons are not connected).

Homework Equations

[itex]pV=\frac{m}{M}RT[/itex] - state of ideal gas

The Attempt at a Solution

State of gas before before balloons are disconnected is
[itex]p_1V_1=\frac{m}{M}RT,p_2V_2=\frac{m}{M}RT[/itex]
and after balloons are disconnected is
[itex]p(V_1+V_2)=\frac{2mRT}{M}\Rightarrow p=\frac{2p_1p_2}{p_1+p_2}=166,67kPa[/itex].

Is this correct? How volumes [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex] are not relevant in the equation for [itex]p[/itex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
gruba said:
##p_1V_1=\frac{m}{M}RT,p_2V_2=\frac{m}{M}RT##
Are m and M the same for both?

haruspex said:
Are m and M the same for both?
Mass of a balloon [itex]m[/itex] and atomic mass [itex]M[/itex] are not given. Could you elaborate how to set the equations
for finding the pressure [itex]p[/itex] in second case (disconnected balloons)?

gruba said:
Mass of a balloon [itex]m[/itex] and atomic mass [itex]M[/itex] are not given. Could you elaborate how to set the equations
for finding the pressure [itex]p[/itex] in second case (disconnected balloons)?
You can assume M is the same for both, but not m. Assign two different unknowns. You have enough equations to cope with that.

I'm not sure as I'm only just learning this stuff myself though it appears I'm a couple of weeks behind you but wouldn't it be worth finding the mass flow rate? Sorry if that's wrong.

JustDerek said:
I'm not sure as I'm only just learning this stuff myself though it appears I'm a couple of weeks behind you but wouldn't it be worth finding the mass flow rate? Sorry if that's wrong.
I read the question as asking about the final state, after flow has ceased and temperatures have returned to ambient.
(Otherwise there is not enough information.)

1. What is the definition of change in pressure?

Change in pressure refers to the difference in pressure between two points in a system or environment. It is typically measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or pascals (Pa).

2. How is the change in pressure calculated?

The change in pressure is calculated by subtracting the initial pressure from the final pressure. This can be represented by the formula: ΔP = Pfinal - Pinitial, where ΔP is the change in pressure and P is the pressure at a given point.

3. What factors can cause a change in pressure?

A change in pressure can be caused by a variety of factors, including changes in temperature, volume, or the presence of external forces. For example, when temperature increases, the pressure of a gas will also increase, while decreasing the volume of a gas will increase its pressure.

4. How is the change in pressure related to the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, represented by the formula PV = nRT, explains the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and the number of moles of a gas. It states that, at a constant temperature and number of moles, the pressure of a gas is directly proportional to its volume. This means that as one property changes, the others will also change, resulting in a change in pressure.

5. Why is it important to measure and monitor changes in pressure?

Measuring and monitoring changes in pressure is important in many scientific fields, such as chemistry, physics, and meteorology. It allows us to understand and predict the behavior of gases and liquids, as well as to identify potential hazards or malfunctions in systems. It also plays a crucial role in various industrial processes, such as in the production of compressed air or the operation of hydraulic systems.