What is the final pressure in the balloons after being disconnected?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gruba
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Change Pressure
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
gruba
Messages
203
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


Two balloons are connected by a faucet.
Gas in the first balloon is at pressure [itex]p_1=100kPa[/itex], and in the second is [itex]p_2=0,5MPa[/itex].
Volumes are [itex]V_1=0,12m^3[/itex] and [itex]V_2=0,5m^3[/itex].
Temperature of a gas is constant.
Find pressure in balloons [itex]p[/itex] after faucet is opened (balloons are not connected).

Homework Equations


[itex]pV=\frac{m}{M}RT[/itex] - state of ideal gas

The Attempt at a Solution


State of gas before before balloons are disconnected is
[itex]p_1V_1=\frac{m}{M}RT,p_2V_2=\frac{m}{M}RT[/itex]
and after balloons are disconnected is
[itex]p(V_1+V_2)=\frac{2mRT}{M}\Rightarrow p=\frac{2p_1p_2}{p_1+p_2}=166,67kPa[/itex].

Is this correct? How volumes [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex] are not relevant in the equation for [itex]p[/itex]?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
haruspex said:
Are m and M the same for both?
Mass of a balloon [itex]m[/itex] and atomic mass [itex]M[/itex] are not given. Could you elaborate how to set the equations
for finding the pressure [itex]p[/itex] in second case (disconnected balloons)?
 
gruba said:
Mass of a balloon [itex]m[/itex] and atomic mass [itex]M[/itex] are not given. Could you elaborate how to set the equations
for finding the pressure [itex]p[/itex] in second case (disconnected balloons)?
You can assume M is the same for both, but not m. Assign two different unknowns. You have enough equations to cope with that.
 
I'm not sure as I'm only just learning this stuff myself though it appears I'm a couple of weeks behind you but wouldn't it be worth finding the mass flow rate? Sorry if that's wrong.
 
JustDerek said:
I'm not sure as I'm only just learning this stuff myself though it appears I'm a couple of weeks behind you but wouldn't it be worth finding the mass flow rate? Sorry if that's wrong.
I read the question as asking about the final state, after flow has ceased and temperatures have returned to ambient.
(Otherwise there is not enough information.)