What is the Final Speed of the Stationary Snooker Ball After Collision?

• Thread starter ZxcvbnM2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary, the conversation discusses the collision of two snooker balls with a coefficient of restitution of 0.9 and calculates the final speed of the second ball, which was initially at rest. The solution uses conservation of momentum and the law of restitution to determine that the final speed is 0.57 m/s.
ZxcvbnM2000

Homework Statement

One snooker ball (initially traveling at 0.6 m s-1) hits another of the same mass (0.4 kg) which was initially at rest. They collide with a coefficient of restitution of 0.9. The balls do not collide head-on, and so they come away at different angles. If the final speed of the incident ball is 0.3 m s-1, what is the final speed of the other (originally stationary) ball?

Homework Equations

conservation of momentum on x,y axis
law of restitution on the line of impact

The Attempt at a Solution

Momentum is conserved on the y-axis ( perpendicular to the line of impact )

so u1cosφ=V1cosθ + V2 1)

Momentum is conserved on the x-axis ( the line of impact )

u1sinφ= V1sinθ 2)

Applying the law of restitution on the line of impact :

e= ( V2-V1cosθ)/(u1cosφ) 3)

So if we re-arrange a bit we get :

0.6cosφ = 0.3cosθ + V2

0.54cosφ = -0.3cosθ + V2

Αnd if we subtract these two we get :

cosφ = 10cosθ 4)

Νow if we plug 4) to 0.6cosφ = 0.3cosθ + V2 we get :

5.7cosθ=V2

But we also know that from 1) & 3) V2 is also equal to = ((e+cosφ)u1)/2 so

i found that cosθ=0.1 and i then i plugged it to 5.7cosθ=V2 and found that V2 is 0.57 m/s .

Is my solution correct ?

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org

it is important to always double-check your calculations and assumptions to ensure accuracy. Your solution appears to be correct, but it is always a good idea to have someone else review your work or to run through the calculations again yourself to ensure there are no errors. Additionally, it would be helpful to label your equations and show your work step by step to make it easier for others to follow along and understand your solution. Overall, your approach using conservation of momentum and the law of restitution is correct and your final answer of 0.57 m/s seems reasonable. Great job!

Related to What is the Final Speed of the Stationary Snooker Ball After Collision?

1. What is a "Not Head-On Collision"?

A "Not Head-On Collision" is a type of car accident where two vehicles collide in a manner that is not directly head-on. This can include side-impact collisions, rear-end collisions, and angled collisions.

2. How common are "Not Head-On Collisions"?

According to data from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, not head-on collisions account for approximately 60% of all car accidents in the United States.

3. What are the most common causes of "Not Head-On Collisions"?

The most common causes of not head-on collisions include distracted driving, speeding, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and failure to yield the right of way.

4. How can "Not Head-On Collisions" be prevented?

To prevent not head-on collisions, it is important for drivers to always follow traffic laws, avoid distractions while driving, and maintain a safe speed and following distance. It is also important to regularly maintain your vehicle to ensure proper functioning of brakes and other safety features.

5. What should I do if I am involved in a "Not Head-On Collision"?

If you are involved in a not head-on collision, the first step is to check for injuries and call for medical assistance if needed. Then, move your vehicle to a safe location if possible and exchange information with the other driver. Be sure to document the accident and contact your insurance provider to report the incident.