What is the force on the rider from the motorcycle?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kittykatxox
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Motion
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kittykatxox
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
this is the problem:

A motorcycle and 63.6 kg rider accelerate at 3.1 m/s2 up a ramp inclined 9.1° above the horizontal. What are the magnitude of (a) the net force on the rider and (b) the force on the rider from the motorcycle?

I solved for a)

F=ma
= (63.6 kg)(3.1 m/s^2)
= 197.16 N

But I don't understand what b) means by the "force on the rider from the motorcycle"
 
Physics news on Phys.org
kittykatxox said:
But I don't understand what b) means by the "force on the rider from the motorcycle"
The force that the motorcycle exerts on the rider is just one force. What other forces act on the rider? (They all must add up to the net force, which you already calculated.)