What is the geometry of the pseudo sphere and what dimension does it exist in?

In summary: Surfaces can have geometries that are not realizable in 3 space. The simplest example is the flat torus which has no curvature but still folds around into a doughnut. However, this surface can be realized 4 space.Similarly a two holed doughnut can be given a geometry that locally look exactly like the pseudo sphere. with this geometry is can not fit i3 space. i am not what dimension it lives in.
neginf
Most books and websites define the hyperbolic distance element and the corresponding shortest paths in the upper half plane with no explanation. I found a derivation for them in a book called Visual Complex Analysis by Needham and it relied on mapping the "pseudosphere" onto the upper half plane.

Is there an elementary derivation that just uses complex analysis ?
If so, where ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if I was to transform the question into the Euclidean setting, I would ask
why would someone need to bother with what a plane is, in order to define straight lines!
What I mean is that there is a minimum of insight required in order to go into the theory of geodesic distance, and this insight is provided by the three model spaces of constant curvature: The sphere, the plane and the pseudosphere.

I hope to know a little differential geometry one day.

There is a book by Ahlfors and Sario that starts off deriving hyperbolic arc length in the unit disk, although I don't understand all the details.

neginf said:
Most books and websites define the hyperbolic distance element and the corresponding shortest paths in the upper half plane with no explanation. I found a derivation for them in a book called Visual Complex Analysis by Needham and it relied on mapping the "pseudosphere" onto the upper half plane.

If so, where ?

One can develop Lobachevskyan geometry axiomatically. perhaps you should look at this,

neginf said:

If so, where ?

BTW: the importance of the hyperbolic metric is not just that it provides a model for hyperbolic geometry. In the plane of the disc it is invariant under groups of linear fractional transformations whose quotient spaces are all orientable compact surfaces other than the torus and the sphere. This means that any surface of genus greater than 1 has a metric of constant negative curvature. These metrics can not be realized in 3 space and thus are not derivable from surfaces such as the pseudosphere.

I don't know what you mean by not "realizable in 3 space" and by "not derivable from surfaces such as the pseudosphere" and would appreciate a layman's level explanation if possible.

In the Needham book, a conformal mapping is set up between the pseudosphere and the upper half plane. It was nice to see how the hyperbolic elements of arc length and area came from this. That's the sense I might use the word "derivable" in.

Last edited:
neginf said:
I don't know what you mean by not "realizable in 3 space" and by "not derivable from surfaces such as the pseudosphere" and would appreciate a layman's level explanation if possible.

A compact surface in 3 space must have a point of positive curvature. These metrics have constant negative curvature and so can not be realized in 3 space.

In the Needham book, a conformal mapping is set up between the pseudosphere and the upper half plane. It was nice to see how the hyperbolic elements of arc length and area came from this. That's the sense I might use the word "derivable" in.

yes but then you have to ask how the pseudosphere was derived.

I don't understand the first part but hope to one day.
The second part I understand. It's the reason I want to see a derivation that's self contained in complex analysis. The pseudosphere was intoduced almost out of nowhere in the Visual COmplex Analysis book, as the surface of revolution of a tractrix.

neginf said:
I don't understand the first part but hope to one day.

Surfaces can have geometries that are not realizable in 3 space. The simplest example is the flat torus which has no curvature but still folds around into a doughnut. However, this surface can be realized 4 space.

Similarly a two holed doughnut can be given a geometry that locally look exactly like the pseudo sphere. with this geometry is can not fit i3 space. i am not what dimension it lives in.

1. What is a hyperbolic distance element?

A hyperbolic distance element is a mathematical concept used to measure the distance between two points in a hyperbolic space. It is similar to a distance element in Euclidean geometry, but takes into account the curvature of a hyperbolic space.

2. How is the hyperbolic distance element calculated?

The hyperbolic distance element is calculated using the hyperbolic metric, which is a mathematical formula that takes into account the curvature of a hyperbolic space. It involves calculating the difference between the x and y coordinates of two points and then taking the natural logarithm of this difference.

3. What is the difference between hyperbolic and Euclidean distance?

The main difference between hyperbolic and Euclidean distance is that hyperbolic distance takes into account the curvature of a hyperbolic space, while Euclidean distance assumes a flat space. This means that the distance between two points in a hyperbolic space will be shorter than the distance between the same two points in a Euclidean space.

4. Can the hyperbolic distance element be negative?

No, the hyperbolic distance element cannot be negative. It is a mathematical representation of distance, and distance cannot be negative. However, it can be imaginary in some cases, which means it includes the imaginary unit i (√-1) in its calculation.

5. How is the hyperbolic distance element used in science?

The hyperbolic distance element is used in various fields of science, such as mathematics, physics, and computer science. It is used to model and study hyperbolic spaces, which have applications in fields like general relativity, cosmology, and network analysis. It is also used in algorithms and data structures for efficient computation in hyperbolic spaces.