What is the Glutaraldehyde Concentration in a 1-Liter Solution?

In summary, the concentration of glutaraldehyde in a 1 litre solution containing 28ml of the solution is 2.8ppm.
caliban07
You have to show your attempts, this is a forum policy. Also, all homework like questions should go to homework forum.
1 litre solution containing 28ml of glutaradehyde and the rest distilled water. What would be the concentration of glutaradehyde in solution in mg/l please.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have values for density and molecular mass of glutaraldehyde?

Bystander said:
You have values for density and molecular mass of glutaraldehyde?

Molecular mass is 100.1 g/mol and density is 1.06 g/ml

ThAnks

You know what to do with those numbers?

Bystander said:
You know what to do with those numbers?

I sort of do with the help of Google. Not quite a maths or chemistry guru. I got an answer of 2.8ppm but I don't know if this is right. Was just trying to confirm and this seems to be the place to come.

Borek has been very helpful in the past.

You've got a volume and a density; what can you do with those?

Bystander said:
You've got a volume and a density; what can you do with those?

Find the mass?

caliban07 said:
Find the mass?
Yes. What can you then do with that information?

Bystander said:
Yes. What can you then do with that information?

C=m/v

Although this is quite condescending it fun.

Mass = density x volume

= 1.06 x 1000ml = 1060grams ?

Anything in particular you're trying to accomplish looking at the product of glutaraldehyde density and total solution volume?

Bystander said:
Anything in particular you're trying to accomplish looking at the product of glutaraldehyde density and total solution volume?

Well it can have quite harmful respiratory effects on humans if inhaled in only small amounts but people readily use it as a carbon source for aquatic plants in aquariums.

Metricide 14 is one particular brand which is 2.8% glut and the rest Distilled water. I have read studies that concentrations as little as 10ppm can equal LC50 24hrs. I'm trying to find out what concentrations people are adding depending on tank sizes to see if it can get anywhere near this number. Concentrations as low as 2.5ppm can harm inverts too.

I meant 10ppm harmed particular species of fish and the same could apply in our aquariums.

Am I on the right track by the way? Is that the correct answer for mass and if so what do I do with the answer and how do I convert the answer to mg/l?

Once I understand what I'm doing I should be ok in the future.

caliban07 said:
Am I on the right track by the way?
No. That was the point of the question about your calculation of the product of glutaraldehyde density and total solution volume.

Let's take a different approach: how many milligrams in 28 grams?

Bystander said:
No. That was the point of the question about your calculation of the product of glutaraldehyde density and total solution volume.

Let's take a different approach: how many milligrams in 28 grams?

It doesn't matter. Thanks anyway.

So if I use the density and volume to find the mass of the solute. I can then divide the solute mass by the total solution mass and multiply by 10^6 to find the concentration in ppm?

Close enough.

Bystander said:
Close enough.

Thanks for your marvellous help...

Related to What is the Glutaraldehyde Concentration in a 1-Liter Solution?

1. What does "concentration of a solution" mean?

The concentration of a solution refers to the amount of solute (substance being dissolved) present in a given amount of solvent (substance doing the dissolving). It is typically measured in units such as molarity (moles of solute per liter of solution) or mass percent (grams of solute per 100 grams of solution).

2. How is the concentration of a solution calculated?

The concentration of a solution can be calculated by dividing the amount of solute by the amount of solvent. For example, if we have 2 moles of solute dissolved in 1 liter of solution, the concentration would be 2 moles/L or 2 M. It is important to use the same units for both the solute and solvent in the calculation.

3. What are some ways to express the concentration of a solution?

Aside from molarity and mass percent, the concentration of a solution can also be expressed as mole fraction (moles of solute divided by total moles of solute and solvent), parts per million (ppm), or parts per billion (ppb). These units are often used in specialized fields such as chemistry and environmental science.

4. How does the concentration of a solution affect its properties?

The concentration of a solution can greatly impact its properties such as boiling point, freezing point, and density. This is because a higher concentration means there are more solute particles present, which can disrupt the interactions between solvent molecules and change the overall behavior of the solution.

5. Can the concentration of a solution change over time?

Yes, the concentration of a solution can change over time due to factors such as temperature, pressure, and the addition or removal of solutes. This is important to consider when storing and using solutions in experiments or industrial processes.