What is the Indefinite Integral of [(e^(4x))/(e^(8x))+9]dx?

In summary, the indefinite integral of [(e^(4x))/(e^(8x))+9]dx can be evaluated by using the substitution u=e^(4x) and du=4e^(4x)dx, which results in the integral \int(\frac{1}{u^{2}+3^{2}})du. This can be solved by using the formula \int\frac{1}{u^{2}+a^{2}}=\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(\frac{u}{a})+C, and the final answer is \frac{1}{4}tan^{-1}(\frac{e^{4x}}{3})+C.
MillerL7
Evaluate the indefinite integral:

[(e^(4x))/(e^(8x))+9]dx

-I think that u=e^(2x)
so then du=e^(2x)dx
then the answer would end up being [(e^(4x)+9)/(-1)]^(-1)

but it was incorrect; I think that my u might be wrong and that's where the problem is, but I am not sure. Please help, thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
as in

[tex]\int (\frac{e^{4x}}{e^{8x}}+9)dx ?[/tex]
[tex]\int (e^{4x-8x}+9)dx = - \frac{1}{4}e^{-4x}+9x[/tex]

or as

[tex]\int (\frac{e^{4x}}{e^{8x}+9})dx ?[/tex]
[tex]u=e^{8x}+9[/tex]
[tex]du=8e^{8x}[/tex]
and then i don't know how to solve this =D
If that's what you were asking, you got a tough one.
[still thinking]

It looks like an integration by parts question, or I am sleepy and can't see the answer D=
But integration by parts doesn't work in my case still...

Last edited:
correction on problem

the second part is the one that we need help on...thank you!

[tex]u=e^{4x}[/tex]
[tex]du=4e^{4x}[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{4} \int(\frac{1}{u^{2}+3^{2}})du
[/tex]

Can you finish it from there?

Last edited:
exk said:
[tex]u=e^{4x}[/tex]
[tex]du=4e^{4x}[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{1}{4} \int(\frac{1}{u^{2}+3^{2}})du
[/tex]

Can you finish it from there?

As I was saying.. I must've been smoking something...

I always get confused when taking antiderivatives of fractions...how do I go about doing that?

MillerL7 said:
I always get confused when taking antiderivatives of fractions...how do I go about doing that?

natural log?

So, I ended up with 1/4lnabs((e^4x)^(2))+9) and got it wrong, what am I doing incorrectly?

[tex]\int\frac{1}{u^{2}+a^{2}}=\frac{1}{a}tan^{-1}(\frac{u}{a})+C[/tex]

Related to What is the Indefinite Integral of [(e^(4x))/(e^(8x))+9]dx?

What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical concept that represents the antiderivative of a given function. It is essentially the reverse operation of taking a derivative, and it allows us to find the original function when given its derivative.

How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you must use integration techniques such as u-substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You will also need to use integration rules, such as the power rule, product rule, and chain rule. The process involves finding the antiderivative of the given function and adding an arbitrary constant, known as the constant of integration.

What are the applications of indefinite integrals?

Indefinite integrals have many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to calculate the area under a curve, determine the displacement of an object, and find the volume of a three-dimensional shape. They are also used in optimization problems, such as finding the minimum or maximum value of a function.

What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

The main difference between definite and indefinite integrals is that definite integrals have specific limits of integration, while indefinite integrals do not. Definite integrals also give a numerical value as the result, while indefinite integrals give a function as the result.

What are some common mistakes when solving indefinite integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving indefinite integrals include forgetting to add the constant of integration, incorrectly applying integration rules, and not using the correct substitution technique. It is also important to check for algebraic errors when simplifying the final result.