What is the Induced Equivalence Class for (2, 3) in Relation Υ?

In summary, the relation Υ has been shown to be an equivalence relation in the tutorial. The equivalence class [(2,3)] is defined as the collection of all ordered pairs (a,b) that satisfy the criteria b/a = 2/3, or equivalently, 3a = 2b. Therefore, the equivalence class [(2,3)] is the set of all ordered pairs of the form (2x, 3x) for some positive integer x.
finalight
(x1, y1)Υ(x2, y2) ⇔ x1 × y2 = x2 × y1

for all x1, x2 ∈ Z and y1, y2 ∈ Z+ have been shown to be an equivalence relation in tutorial.

Specify the equivalence class [(2; 3)] as induced by Υ.

i don't understand what it means by 'Specify the equivalence class [(2; 3)] as induced by Υ.'

can anyhone guide me along?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equivalence class generated by (2,3) is the collection of all the pairs under consideration that are related to (2,3) by Y. So you need to answer the question something like

[(2,3)] = {(a,b): some criteria having to do with (2,3) that (a,b) must satisfy to be in the equivalence class}. You have to replace the bold part with appropriate wording.

so is the answer like [(3,2)]?

LCKurtz said:
The equivalence class generated by (2,3) is the collection of all the pairs under consideration that are related to (2,3) by Y. So you need to answer the question something like

[(2,3)] = {(a,b): some criteria having to do with (2,3) that (a,b) must satisfy to be in the equivalence class}. You have to replace the bold part with appropriate wording.

finalight said:
so is the answer like [(3,2)]?

I'm not sure what you are getting at with that question.

[(2,3)] is the symbol for the equivalence class. Some pairs (a,b) are in the equivalence class [(2,3)] and some aren't. (3,2) isn't. So [(2,3)] and [(3,2)] are distinct equivalence classes.

But your problem is to describe what pairs (a,b) are in [(2,3)]. I'll get you started. Is (6,9) in [(2,3)]? Can you find others? What pairs are?

the ordered pair i found so far is like this
{(3,2), (6,4), (9,6), (12,8)}

so the answer would be

{(a, b)∈ Z x Z+: b/a = ±2/3}

haha, i think i got it correct
i'm not sure whether to include the '±', but since y1, y2 could be any ±Z, i have to take precaution

Last edited:
Is (0,0)Y(2,3) ?

I don't think (0,0) is a valid ordered pair, since b must be positive integer

finalight said:
I don't think (0,0) is a valid ordered pair, since b must be positive integer
Why do you think that? I don't see any restriction like this anywhere in this thread.

Mark44 said:
Why do you think that? I don't see any restriction like this anywhere in this thread.

(x1, y1)Υ(x2, y2)
x1, x2 ∈ Z and y1, y2 ∈ Z+

so y1 ∈ Z+

as stated in the question

finalight said:
the ordered pair i found so far is like this
{(3,2), (6,4), (9,6), (12,8)}

so the answer would be

{(a, b)∈ Z x Z+: b/a = ±2/3}

haha, i think i got it correct
i'm not sure whether to include the '±', but since y1, y2 could be any ±Z, i have to take precaution

This problem usually arises when you are developing the theory of fractions given the integers. I don't know the context in which you present the problem, but if it is that context, it may be that the use of fractions to describe the equivalence classes wouldn't be appropriate. You will have to judge that for yourself, but it is easy enough to describe the set you are alluding to above without using fractions.

LCKurtz said:
This problem usually arises when you are developing the theory of fractions given the integers. I don't know the context in which you present the problem, but if it is that context, it may be that the use of fractions to describe the equivalence classes wouldn't be appropriate. You will have to judge that for yourself, but it is easy enough to describe the set you are alluding to above without using fractions.

i probably need hints on how to describe it without using the form a/b

finalight said:
i probably need hints on how to describe it without using the form a/b

Solve your equation for a: b/a = ±2/3.

Are you sure that the " ± " belongs there?

SammyS said:
Solve your equation for a: b/a = ±2/3.

Are you sure that the " ± " belongs there?

sory, just reaize the ± don't belong there

so it's a = 2/3b? is tat correct?

Or, if you don't want to use fractions, 3a= 2b. So every ordered pair in the same equivalence class with (2, 3) is of the form (2x, 3x) for some positive integer x.

Related to What is the Induced Equivalence Class for (2, 3) in Relation Υ?

What is an equivalence class?

An equivalence class is a set of objects or elements that are considered equivalent based on a specific relationship or criteria.

Why is finding equivalence classes important?

Finding equivalence classes allows us to group similar objects or elements together, which can help simplify complex problems and aid in understanding relationships between different elements.

How do you determine the equivalence classes for a given set of objects?

To determine equivalence classes, we first need to identify the relationship or criteria that defines the equivalence. Then, we can group the objects that share that same relationship into their respective equivalence classes.

Can an object belong to multiple equivalence classes?

Yes, it is possible for an object to belong to multiple equivalence classes if it satisfies the criteria for multiple relationships or classifications.

What are some real-life examples of equivalence classes?

Some real-life examples of equivalence classes include grouping people based on their age, categorizing animals based on their species, and organizing products by their brand or type.