What is the initial speed of the ball?

In summary, a ball is projected horizontally from a 1.00m high table and strikes the floor 1.20m from the base of the table. The initial speed of the ball can be calculated using the equation x = v0 * t. The ball takes 0.452 seconds to hit the ground with an average speed of 2.65 m/s. To determine the height of the ball when its velocity vector makes a 45.0° angle with the horizontal, the equation y(t) = 1/2*g*t^2 can be used. After solving for time, use the equation x = v0 * t to calculate the initial speed.
elitespart
A ball is projected horizontally from the edge of a table that is 1.00m high, and it strikes the floor at a point 1.20m from the base of the table.

a) What is the initial speed of the ball?
b) How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector make a 45.0° angle with the horizontal?

...So far all I got is that it take .102 seconds for the ball to hit the ground and I think average speed is 11.8 m/s. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
elitespart said:
A ball is projected horizontally from the edge of a table that is 1.00m high, and it strikes the floor at a point 1.20m from the base of the table.

a) What is the initial speed of the ball?
b) How high is the ball above the floor when its velocity vector make a 45.0° angle with the horizontal?

...So far all I got is that it take .102 seconds for the ball to hit the ground and I think average speed is 11.8 m/s. Please help.

How did you get the 0.102 seconds? Doesn't look correct. Could you present the way you got that result? Since the ball is thrown horizontally, the equation of displacement for the y-direction is pretty simple.

oh my bad. That's wrong. But then how would I find it?

Last edited:
elitespart said:
oh my bad. That's wrong. But then how would I find it?

From the equation y(t) = 1/2*g*t^2.

ok I am not getting what I am supposed to do with this equation. can u help me out please

This equation represents the displacement of the ball in the y-direction (vertical), right? And you know the height of the table (i.e. the distance from the top of the table to the ground). So, just plug it in the equation and calculate the time it takes for the ball to fall on the floor.

ok so it'd be like 1.0=1/2(9.81) x t^2? and then i jus isolate the t^2.

elitespart said:
ok so it'd be like 1.0=1/2(9.81) x t^2? and then i jus isolate the t^2.

Exactly. After getting the time, use x = v0 * t for the initial speed.

Alrite so i got 2.21 seconds. What's v0?

elitespart said:
Alrite so i got 2.21 seconds. What's v0?

You know the displacement in the x-direction equals 1.2 m, and you just calculated the time. And you saw what is written in my post above. I think that's enough. :smile:

k so initial speed is 4.42 m.s?

no ... t = 2.21 seconds is incorrect, it should be t = 0.452 seconds.

ok yea i got that. so then initial speed would be .542 m/s.

no again ... (delta x)/(time) = speed

1.2/0.452 = ?

2.65 m/s. damn I am stupid. thanks bro. appreciate it. now i jus got to figure out b.

Last edited:

1. What does initial speed of the ball mean?

The initial speed of the ball refers to the velocity at which the ball is launched or thrown from its starting point. It is the speed at which the ball begins to move.

2. How is the initial speed of the ball measured?

The initial speed of the ball is typically measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h). It can be measured using specialized equipment such as radar guns or speedometers.

3. What factors affect the initial speed of the ball?

The initial speed of the ball can be affected by several factors, including the force applied to the ball, the angle at which it is thrown or launched, air resistance, and the mass of the ball.

4. Why is the initial speed of the ball important in sports?

The initial speed of the ball is important in sports because it determines how far and how fast the ball will travel. It can also affect the trajectory and accuracy of the ball, which can impact the outcome of a game or competition.

5. How does the initial speed of the ball relate to the laws of motion?

The initial speed of the ball is governed by Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first law which states that an object will remain at rest or in motion at a constant speed unless acted upon by an external force. The force applied to the ball determines its initial speed and direction of motion.