What is the Lagrange Multiplier

In summary, the Lagrange multiplier is a mathematical tool that is used to solve optimization problems with equality constraints. It involves introducing an additional auxiliary variable to convert the problem into an unconstrained optimization problem. This concept is used in various fields such as classical mechanics and economics, and is based on the theorem that if one linear operator's kernel is a subset of another's, then there exists a linear operator that connects the two.
Samia qureshi
Can anybody explain in simple and easy words "Lagrange Multiplier" What is it? and when it is used? i googled it but that was explained in much difficult words.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The Lagrange multiplier is a additional auxiliary variable that appears when applying Lagrange's technique to solve an optimization problem with equality constraints by converting it to an unconstrained optimization problem. So: You get rid of the constraint at the cost of introducing an extra unknown.

To proceed, I think it is necessary to introduce notation for the function to be maximized (or: minimized) as well as the constraint(s). For this I could recommend the Wikipedia article, which seems quite accessible if you are familiar with some basic multivariable calculus.

Likes Samia qureshi
Also, since this is a homework thread, it may be useful to post an example of a problem that you are working on in this context, so it can serve as an illustration.

Likes Samia qureshi
Krylov said:
The Lagrange multiplier is a additional auxiliary variable that appears when applying Lagrange's technique to solve an optimization problem with equality constraints by converting it to an unconstrained optimization problem. So: You get rid of the constraint at the cost of introducing an extra unknown.

To proceed, I think it is necessary to introduce notation for the function to be maximized (or: minimized) as well as the constraint(s). For this I could recommend the Wikipedia article, which seems quite accessible if you are familiar with some basic multivariable calculus.

Isn't it similar to Lagrange equation of motions?

Samia qureshi said:
Isn't it similar to Lagrange equation of motions?
Lagrange's formulation of classical mechanics is indeed based on a constrained energy minimization problem (where the constraints are dictated by the system's geometry) and the equations of motion are obtained from the "Lagrangian". The Lagrangian also appears more generally in constrained optimization problems, also in unrelated fields such as economics, but of course there it has another role and interpretation.

Since you asked for an explanation in simple words, I am hesitant to go further, but if you indicate more about the background of your question, perhaps we can give more adequate answers.

I am afraid that a simple explanation does not exist. The so called Lagrange multipliers is a fundamental mathematical construction, it is the reason why this construction arises in very different branches of math.

Consider three vector spaces ##X,Y,Z## these spaces can be infinite dimensional; and two linear operators ##B:X\to Y## and ##A:X\to Z##

2db0204aead4.png

Assume also that ##B(X)=Y##.

Theorem. If ##\ker B\subset\ker A## then there exists a linear operator ##\Lambda:Y\to Z## such that ##A=\Lambda B##.

This theorem and its several versions (for Banach spaces and bounded operators etc) is a source of all Lagrage multipliers in different topics.

Last edited:

What is the Lagrange Multiplier?

The Lagrange Multiplier is a mathematical technique used to optimize a function subject to constraints. It is named after Joseph-Louis Lagrange, a French mathematician.

How does the Lagrange Multiplier work?

The Lagrange Multiplier works by introducing a new variable, known as the multiplier, to the original function. This multiplier is then used to modify the function so that it satisfies the given constraints. The resulting function can then be optimized using traditional methods.

What is the purpose of using the Lagrange Multiplier?

The Lagrange Multiplier is used to optimize a function while taking into account any constraints that may be present. It allows for the incorporation of these constraints into the optimization process, resulting in a more accurate and efficient solution.

In what fields is the Lagrange Multiplier commonly used?

The Lagrange Multiplier is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, physics, engineering, and economics. It is also frequently used in machine learning and optimization problems in computer science.

What are the limitations of the Lagrange Multiplier?

While the Lagrange Multiplier is a powerful tool for optimization, it does have some limitations. It is only applicable to problems with continuous functions and differentiable constraints. Additionally, it may not always provide the most efficient solution and can become computationally expensive for complex problems.