What is the Laplace Transform Integral for the function $\frac{\cos xt}{1+t^2}$?

In summary, the conversation discusses two integration problems involving trigonometric functions and rational expressions. The first problem is solved using substitution and the correct answer is obtained by including a missing x in the substitution process. The second problem is not yet solved, but the suggested first step is to express the integrand as a product of trigonometric and Laplace functions.
pierce15

Homework Statement

$$ \int_0^\infty \frac{\sin xt}{x} \, dt $$

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

$$ = \int_0^\infty L(\sin xt) \, dp $$

$$ = \int_0^\infty \frac{x}{p^2 + x^2} \, dp $$

$$ = x \int_0^\infty \frac{dx}{p^2 + x^2} \, dp $$

p = x tan theta:

$$ = x \int_0^{\pi/2} \frac{ \sec^2 \theta}{x^2 \sec^2 \theta} \, d\theta $$

$$ = \frac{1}{x} \cdot \frac{\pi}{2} $$

My textbook says that the answer should be exactly pi /2. What did I do wrong?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Never mind, I found the problem: I forgot to include the x in dx = x sec^2 theta d theta. However, while we're here, I have another textbook problem:

$$ \int_0^ \infty \frac{ \cos xt}{1 + t^2} \, dt $$

I have noticed that this is expressible as

$$ \int_0^\infty \cos xt \cdot L[ \sin x ] \, dt $$

Is that the right first step? I'm not sure where to go from here

Related to What is the Laplace Transform Integral for the function $\frac{\cos xt}{1+t^2}$?

What is a Laplace Transform Integral?

A Laplace Transform Integral is a mathematical tool used to transform a function from the time domain to the frequency domain. It is typically used in engineering and physics to solve differential equations and analyze systems.

How is a Laplace Transform Integral calculated?

To calculate a Laplace Transform Integral, the function is multiplied by an exponential function and then integrated over a specific range. The result is a complex-valued function of frequency.

What is the importance of Laplace Transform Integral?

Laplace Transform Integral is important because it allows us to solve differential equations in the frequency domain, which can be simpler and more intuitive than solving them in the time domain. It also has applications in electrical engineering, control theory, and signal processing.

What are the limitations of Laplace Transform Integral?

One limitation of Laplace Transform Integral is that it can only be used for functions that have a finite number of discontinuities or a finite number of poles in the complex plane. It also assumes that the function decays to zero as time goes to infinity.

How is Laplace Transform Integral related to Fourier Transform?

Laplace Transform Integral is closely related to Fourier Transform, as it is a generalization of Fourier Transform. The main difference is that Laplace Transform Integral takes into account the initial conditions of a system, while Fourier Transform does not. Additionally, Laplace Transform Integral can be used for functions that are not necessarily periodic, unlike Fourier Transform.