What is the likelihood of a physics major getting an engineering job?

In summary, applicants who majored in physics are generally well-qualified for entry-level engineering jobs, but employers may also look at classes a candidate has taken and their summer work experience.
astroman707
I’ve been told that physics majors are looked at favorably when applying for entry-level engineering jobs.
Is this true?
How qualified are they when compared to engineering majors?
Are applied physics majors looked at any differently?
Do employers care about an undergraduate thesis?

Likes symbolipoint
Physics news on Phys.org
For entry-level engineering jobs, I look at the classes they've taken and done well in, and I also look at summer work experience and work on personal projects. I knew of Physics majors in my undergrad who did as many projects on the side as I did, and were very good at electronics. They also tended to be good at E&M, which is applicable to many EE jobs. Programming background is almost always useful as well, even for hardware-specific EE jobs.

You'd need to look at the full job postings of some representative employers online to see what kind of things they expect in their entry-level candidates. Can you post a few example positions that you've been looking at?

Likes CalcNerd
berkeman said:
and I also look at summer work experience and work on personal projects. I knew of Physics majors in my undergrad who did as many projects on the side as I did, and were very good at electronics. They also tended to be good at E&M, which is applicable to many EE jobs. Programming background is almost always useful as well, even for
berkeman,
How do or did you view candidates who worked on personal programming projects which were not used directly in his either academic work nor employed work? Would this have any impact on your assessment if the program were not shared as published? But I would guess that you would prefer such program were shared among people OR published in some reachable article, website, or something.

berkeman said:
Programming background is almost always useful as well, even for hardware-specific EE jobs.
You would imagine that if programming were important for a job to be filled, the interviewer could quiz the candidate on his programming ability.

symbolipoint said:
How do or did you view candidates who worked on personal programming projects which were not used directly in his either academic work nor employed work?
It depends on the type of program, its purpose, and what kind of skills were involved in developing it. For example, if it were for an embedded project that the candidate was doing (maybe programming their own home control system or something), that would be directly applicable to the work we do here at my job. If it was implementing a simplified C compiler to learn more about compilers, that would also be impressive to me (since I worked on that back in undergrad). We only have a few tools developers here currently where compiler-writing experience is directly applicable, but it shows initiative in wanting to learn one of the more complex aspects of programming, which is a good thing IMO.

If the project involved GUI development, I'd like to have a look and test drive it with the candidate, and ask questions about the decisions s/he made in the layout and hierarchy. If it's obvious that they put a lot of thought and effort into it, that also would go a long way toward showing me what kind of a programming team member they could be.

And if they happen to have used some source control system already (I think Bitbucket licenses for individuals are free...), that goes a very long way in showing us that they are serious about wanting to develop quality code as a member of a programming group...

https://www.atlassian.com/licensing/bitbucket-server#cloudlicensing-1

I'd be inclined to look hard at what aspect of physics seemed to be of greatest interest to the candidate. If it was very esoteric stuff, I'd probably turn away, but if it was classical material, I might be interested.

Likes CalcNerd

1. What is the job outlook for physics majors in the engineering field?

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the job outlook for engineers in general is expected to grow by 4% from 2019 to 2029. However, the demand for engineers in specific fields, such as mechanical and electrical engineering, may vary. It is important for physics majors to gain relevant skills and experience in their desired engineering field to increase their chances of employment.

2. Are there any specific engineering fields that are more suitable for physics majors?

Physics majors often have a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, making them well-suited for engineering fields that involve complex calculations and analysis. Some popular fields for physics majors include mechanical, electrical, and aerospace engineering.

3. How can a physics major make themselves more competitive for engineering jobs?

To make themselves more competitive for engineering jobs, physics majors can gain relevant experience through internships or research projects in their desired field. They can also take courses or pursue a minor in engineering to gain a deeper understanding of the subject. Additionally, highlighting their transferable skills, such as critical thinking and problem-solving, can make them stand out to potential employers.

4. Is a graduate degree necessary for a physics major to get an engineering job?

While a graduate degree may not be necessary, it can certainly make a physics major more competitive for engineering jobs. Graduate programs in engineering can provide specialized knowledge and skills that may be attractive to employers. However, gaining relevant experience and skills through internships or research projects can also make a physics major a strong candidate for engineering jobs.

5. Can a physics major switch to an engineering career after graduation?

Yes, it is possible for a physics major to switch to an engineering career after graduation. However, they may need to take additional courses or pursue a graduate degree in engineering to gain the necessary skills and knowledge. Networking and gaining relevant experience in the engineering field can also help a physics major make the transition to an engineering career.