1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the magnitude of the net force acting on the kayak?

1. Oct 6, 2009 #1
    neutron star has a mass of 2.0 x 10^30 kg, and a radius of 5.0 x 10^3 m
    suppose an object falls from rest near the surface of such a star. how fast would it be moving after it had fallen a distance of 0.010 m? (gravity constant over star, and star is not rotating)

and

a person in a kayak starts paddling, and it accelerates from 0 to 0.60 in a distance of 0.41 m if combined mass of person and kayak is 73 kg what is the magnitude of the net force acting on the kayak?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2009 #2
    Please show some work. The first question requires the equation for gravitational force, the second asks you to use the definition of force.

4. Oct 6, 2009 #3
    my prof wrote down some equations for the first one

Fg = G(mMn/Rn^2 = m(GMn/ Rn^2)

and then

Fg = ma

but im not sure about the second one....thats mainly why im asking.. is because i dont know how to do it....

5. Oct 6, 2009 #4
    Both are correct. They allow you to determine the acceleration a from knowledge of the other variables in the first equation.

6. Oct 6, 2009 #5
    okay.. but still don't know how to solve it..

7. Oct 6, 2009 #6
    k i think i get the second one.. but the neutron star one still is a no go

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook