What is the maximum tension in the makeshift rope for a jail escape attempt?

In summary, the thief must lower himself at a slower rate than gravity, and use a minimal amount of acceleration in order to not break the makeshift rope.
777lov3r
A 75 kg petty third wants to escape from a third story jail window. Unfortunately, a makeshift rope of sheets tied together can support a mass of only 50 kg. What is the minimal acceleration with which the thief must lower himself so he may use the "rope" without breaking it?

the variables i got were:
m=75 kg
a= -9.80m/s^2
v1=0

i then tried to use the formula for the thief, f=ma, isolated for a, a=f/m and substitued it into the rops max acceraltion limit, which formula is f=ma

i then got f(thief)/m(thief)= f(rope)/m, and i don't really know where to continue from there, because the thief must accelerate at a slower rate than what gravity plans for him, and must be a lower acceleration than 50 kg would normally fall right? please help!o:)

Physics news on Phys.org
You must draw free body diagrams to designate all forces acting on the person, then apply Newton's laws. Newton 2 is not F=ma, its F_net =ma , or, alternatively, sum of all forces = ma. What forces act on the man ? What's the net force acting on him? Then use Newton 2 to find his required minimum acceleration.

but I'm confused on whether or not to use that mans mass, 75 kg, if I draw a free body diagram then fnet=fg-fn, but fnet =ma, so I isolate for a? my teacher doesn't really help me out very much..

777lov3r said:
but I'm confused on whether or not to use that mans mass, 75 kg, if I draw a free body diagram then fnet=fg-fn, but fnet =ma, so I isolate for a? my teacher doesn't really help me out very much..
Yes, you must use the man's mass and weight in the equation. Your equation is correct, (although what you call fn is the allowable tension force in the cable, you should just call it 'T').. Once you know 'fg', solve for 'a' by isolating it.

oooohh, so we have to find his minimal acceleration , and the tension on the rope in order for it not to break , so it would be a=(fg-ft)/m?but isn't tension unkown?

It is known, indirectly. It is stated that the sheet can only hold a mass of 50 kg (at rest). So what is the maximum tension in the cable just before it breaks?

1. What is jail escape kinematics?

Jail escape kinematics is the study of the movement and motion involved in escaping from a confinement, such as a prison or jail. It involves analyzing the physical forces and laws that govern the motion of the human body, as well as the obstacles and challenges of breaking out of a confined space.

2. What are some common techniques used in jail escape kinematics?

Some common techniques used in jail escape kinematics include analyzing the layout of the confinement, identifying weak points and vulnerabilities, and creating a plan of action based on physical limitations and available resources. Other techniques may involve using tools or equipment, such as ropes or makeshift tools, to aid in the escape.

3. How does the study of jail escape kinematics benefit society?

The study of jail escape kinematics can benefit society by helping law enforcement and correctional facilities to better understand and prevent escape attempts. It can also aid in developing more secure confinement systems and protocols, as well as providing valuable insights into human behavior and problem-solving strategies.

4. Are there any dangers or risks associated with studying jail escape kinematics?

As with any scientific study involving criminal behavior, there may be potential risks involved in studying jail escape kinematics. Researchers must adhere to ethical guidelines and maintain safety protocols to ensure the well-being of themselves and others. Additionally, the information collected should be used responsibly and not to aid in illegal activities.

5. Can the principles of jail escape kinematics be applied to other areas of science?

Yes, many of the principles and techniques used in jail escape kinematics can be applied to other areas of science, such as engineering, physics, and psychology. The study of movement, forces, and problem-solving can be useful in a variety of fields and can lead to new discoveries and innovations.