What is the Meaning of P(E given F) in Basic Probability?

In summary, the conversation discusses the basic fact that states the probability of an event E occurring is equal to the sum of the probabilities of E occurring given the events F and G, where only one of F or G can occur. This can be better understood by using a Venn diagram. The conversation also clarifies that P(F) + P(G) always equals 1, and E is dependent on F and G. This type of problem can be considered a strict dichotomy and is a fundamental concept in probability.
Redd
I have never been very good at probability, and I am confused with this rather simple statement:

"BASIC FACT:
Let E be any event, and F and G be events such that one and only one of the events F and G will occur. Then

P(E) = P(F)*P(E given F) + P(G)*P(E given G)"

Where P(E) = the probability of E occurring. And the same for the others.

To be honest I don't even understand what it is asking me to do procedurally. What does it mean "E given F"? Is that the probability of E occurring if F occurs? Why is that pertinent? More than that I don't understand the reasoning nor do I have any intuitive inkling as to why this expression would yield the correct answer.
Can someone give an example perhaps?
(The book I was given just assumes the reader automatically understands this property).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to understand it is by using a Venn diagram. The descriptions of F and G are such that they don't overlap and together fill the entire event space. Place E on the diagram and you see that part of it may overlap F while the rest would overlap G.

To add things up properly, P(E given F) means the area of the part of E overlapping F divided by the area of F. Similarly for P(E given G). To get the E area, multiply each piece by the area of F or G as needed.

mathman said:
The best way to understand it is by using a Venn diagram. The descriptions of F and G are such that they don't overlap and together fill the entire event space. Place E on the diagram and you see that part of it may overlap F while the rest would overlap G.

To add things up properly, P(E given F) means the area of the part of E overlapping F divided by the area of F. Similarly for P(E given G). To get the E area, multiply each piece by the area of F or G as needed.

Okay. I still have a couple questions.
If P(F) and P(G) fill the "entire event space" does that mean P(F) + P(G) always = 1?
And is that just because one and only one of the events must occur?
That seems to make sense.
So E is dependent on F and G, and this description is finding the probability of E as it depends on the outcomes of F or G?
I hope I'm not misunderstanding because it seems to fit now.

On a side note, do you know if there is a name for this sort of thing so that I can look into it more, or should I just look into general probability basics?

Redd said:
Okay. I still have a couple questions.
If P(F) and P(G) fill the "entire event space" does that mean P(F) + P(G) always = 1?

Yes

So E is dependent on F and G, and this description is finding the probability of E as it depends on the outcomes of F or G?

P(F v G)=1; P(F^G)= 0; P(F) = 1 - P(G); P(G)= 1 - P(F).
On a side note, do you know if there is a name for this sort of thing so that I can look into it more, or should I just look into general probability basics?

These types of problems are about the most basic probability examples, such as coin tosses with fair or biased coins. I guess you could call them strict dichotomies.

Last edited:

Related to What is the Meaning of P(E given F) in Basic Probability?

1. What is basic probability?

Basic probability is a branch of mathematics that deals with the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It helps us understand the chances of different outcomes in a given situation.

2. How do you calculate basic probability?

To calculate basic probability, you divide the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is the chance of an event occurring based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual data collected through experiments or observations.

4. What are some examples of basic probability?

Some examples of basic probability include flipping a coin, rolling a dice, and drawing a card from a deck. These are all situations where the outcomes are equally likely and can be calculated using basic probability.

5. How is basic probability used in real-life situations?

Basic probability is used in various real-life situations, such as in weather forecasting, risk assessment, and insurance. It is also used in decision-making processes, such as choosing the best option based on the likelihood of different outcomes.