What is the minimum force required to keep two cables taut at a given point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the range of values of P for which both cables remain taut. The tension force on the horizontal line must not be zero, so the minimum force of P must be greater than zero. The formulas for the tension in each cable must be found and the conditions for the tension force to be more than zero must be determined by resolving the forces into x and y components. The individual also mentions their plans to become an active member of the forum.
fociboy
The cables are tied at A and loaed as shown
Determine the range of values of P for which both cables remain taut !
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/27fcfeba9a.jpg

I have an idea on the AC rope. Since the tension force T must not be zero on the horizontal line (or the line along AC), therefore, the min force of P > 0. Because when P>0, the horizontal component is not zero. Is it true? How about AB

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi fociboy ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

If P is too small, the 960N weight will pull A toward the wall.

If P is too large, it will pull A upward.

Hint: the question is really asking you find the formulas for the tension in each cable.

Then you choose the values for which the tension in either cable is zero. :smile:

Dear tiny-tim,
I've known how to solve it. We resolve all the force into x and y component. And determine the conditions that the tension force on the rope is more than zero

Hi fociboy! :smile:
fociboy said:
Dear tiny-tim,
I've known how to solve it. We resolve all the force into x and y component. And determine the conditions that the tension force on the rope is more than zero

(you mean I know how to solve it, or I've found how to solve it :wink:)

That's right … resolve into components. :smile:

Is everything ok now?

I see. But you know, I've started studying in university and there're still a lot of things to know. I hope I can join and become an active member of the forum. Thanks :)

Related to What is the minimum force required to keep two cables taut at a given point?

1. What is the range of force?

The range of force refers to the minimum and maximum values of force that can be applied to an object. It is a measure of how much force can be exerted on an object without causing damage or deformation.

2. How is the range of force determined?

The range of force is determined by conducting experiments and analyzing the results. This involves applying different amounts of force to an object and measuring its response. The minimum and maximum values of force that do not cause damage or deformation are then identified as the range of force.

3. Why is it important to determine the range of force?

Determining the range of force is important for understanding the physical limitations of objects and materials. It helps engineers and scientists design structures and products that can withstand a certain amount of force without breaking or malfunctioning.

4. Can the range of force change?

Yes, the range of force can change depending on the material, shape, and other factors of the object being tested. It can also change over time due to wear and tear or changes in environmental conditions.

5. How is the range of force related to other physical properties?

The range of force is related to other physical properties such as elasticity, strength, and durability. These properties determine how much force an object can withstand before breaking or deforming. The range of force can also be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and humidity.