Determining Range of Values of P for Taut Cables

In summary, the problem involves determining the range of values for P in which both cables remain taut when loaded as shown. This can be done by using two equations and two unknowns to solve for TAC and TBC as a function of P. By creating a graph or table of TAC and TBC versus P, it can be determined that the maximum value of P is 514, as TBC becomes negative at P=515.
yaro99

Homework Statement

Two cables are tied together at C and loaded as shown. Determine the range of values of P for which both cables remain taut.
FAyAUGD.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma F_x=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\Sigma F_x=\frac{ 4 }{ 5 }*P-\frac{ 600 }{ 650 }*T_{AC}=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=\frac{ 250 }{ 200 }*T_{AC}+T_{BC}+\frac{ 3 }{ 5 }*P-480=0[/itex]

I am ending up with 2 equations and 3 unknowns. How can I eliminate the variables?

Physics news on Phys.org
You'll need to take moments about a point then. Try about point A.

My knowledge on this is a bit rusty. Taking the moment about point A, I know for BC I would have: 600*T_(BC)
I am not sure about the others, but here is my guess: [itex]ƩM_A=0.6*T_{BC}+0.6*(600/650)*T_{AC}-0.6*480+0.6*(2/5)*P=0[/itex]

Is this correct?

You need to use the critical condition that the cables remain taut. If P is too small for that, which cable will go slack? What if P is too great?

Setting P=0, it seems that cable AC will go slack. I am not sure about if P is too great. It looks like it would be BC. I am still confused.

yaro99 said:
Setting P=0, it seems that cable AC will go slack. I am not sure about if P is too great. It looks like it would be BC. I am still confused.
You may be confused, but you're getting there :smile:. So what equation do you get for BC going slack?

haruspex said:
You may be confused, but you're getting there :smile:. So what equation do you get for BC going slack?

This is where I'm confused. I took an arbitrarily large number and set it equal to P. Plugging this into both equations, T_(BC) becomes a large negative value. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly.

yaro99 said:

Homework Statement

Two cables are tied together at C and loaded as shown. Determine the range of values of P for which both cables remain taut.
FAyAUGD.png

Homework Equations

[itex]\Sigma F_x=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\Sigma F_x=\frac{ 4 }{ 5 }*P-\frac{ 600 }{ 650 }*T_{AC}=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=\frac{ 250 }{ 200 }*T_{AC}+T_{BC}+\frac{ 3 }{ 5 }*P-480=0[/itex]

I am ending up with 2 equations and 3 unknowns. How can I eliminate the variables?

Your coefficient of TAC in the y force balance is incorrect. It should be 250/650.

Solve this pair of equations for TAC and TBC as a function of P. Make a graph or a table of TAC and TBC versus P. Each of the cables will go slack if the tension in the cable is less than zero. Find out the range of P that makes this happen for each of the cables. For example, you can immediately see from the x- force balance that cable AC will go slack if P is less than zero.

yaro99 said:
This is where I'm confused. I took an arbitrarily large number and set it equal to P. Plugging this into both equations, T_(BC) becomes a large negative value. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly.
You don't need to try plugging in an arbitrary value for P. As P increases from 0, what will TBC be at the point where BC goes slack?
(Also, note the correction Chestermiller mentions to your Fy equation.)

Chestermiller said:
Your coefficient of TAC in the y force balance is incorrect. It should be 250/650.

Solve this pair of equations for TAC and TBC as a function of P. Make a graph or a table of TAC and TBC versus P. Each of the cables will go slack if the tension in the cable is less than zero. Find out the range of P that makes this happen for each of the cables. For example, you can immediately see from the x- force balance that cable AC will go slack if P is less than zero.

Thank you! I did this and got the correct answer. Here is what I did:

I rearranged the equations like this:
[itex]T_{AC}=P*\frac{4}{5}*\frac{650}{600}[/itex]
[itex]T_{BC}=480-\frac{250}{650}*T_{AC}-\frac{3}{5}*P[/itex]

Then I created these tables:
T89jO50.png

Since T_BC is positive at P=514 and negative at P=515, 514 must be the maximum value of P.

Is this the only way to do this problem? Is there any easier method that takes less time?

yaro99 said:
Is there any easier method that takes less time?
Yes - answer my question in post #9.

haruspex said:
You don't need to try plugging in an arbitrary value for P. As P increases from 0, what will TBC be at the point where BC goes slack?
(Also, note the correction Chestermiller mentions to your Fy equation.)

TBC would be 0 where BC goes slack. But then what do I set TAC equal to?

yaro99 said:
TBC would be 0 where BC goes slack. But then what do I set TAC equal to?
With TBC = 0 you now have two equations and two unknowns. Solve them.

haruspex said:
With TBC = 0 you now have two equations and two unknowns. Solve them.

Ah, right, I wasn't thinking :redface:

Indeed this yields the same answer. Thanks!

1. What is the purpose of determining the range of values of P for taut cables?

The purpose of determining the range of values of P for taut cables is to ensure the structural stability and safety of the cables. By finding the appropriate range of values for P, we can determine the maximum amount of tension that the cables can withstand without breaking or causing damage to the structure.

2. How is the range of values of P for taut cables determined?

The range of values of P for taut cables is determined through mathematical calculations and analysis of the cable's properties, such as its length, material, and maximum allowable stress. This information is used to create a model that simulates the behavior of the cables under different levels of tension.

3. What factors can affect the range of values of P for taut cables?

The range of values of P for taut cables can be affected by various factors such as the type and quality of the cable material, the temperature and weather conditions, the design and construction of the structure, and the load or weight that the cables will be supporting.

4. Why is it important to determine the range of values of P for taut cables accurately?

It is crucial to determine the range of values of P for taut cables accurately because any miscalculation or error can result in structural failure, which can have serious consequences. It can lead to the collapse of the structure, causing damage to property and endangering the lives of those using the structure.

5. Can the range of values of P for taut cables change over time?

Yes, the range of values of P for taut cables can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, corrosion, or changes in the structure's load or usage. It is essential to regularly monitor and reassess the range of values of P to ensure the continued safety and stability of the cables and the structure.