Determining Range of Values of P for Taut Cables

  • Thread starter Thread starter yaro99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cables Range
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
13 replies · 15K views
yaro99
Messages
75
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two cables are tied together at C and loaded as shown. Determine the range of values of P for which both cables remain taut.
FAyAUGD.png

Homework Equations


[itex]\Sigma F_x=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[itex]\Sigma F_x=\frac{ 4 }{ 5 }*P-\frac{ 600 }{ 650 }*T_{AC}=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=\frac{ 250 }{ 200 }*T_{AC}+T_{BC}+\frac{ 3 }{ 5 }*P-480=0[/itex]

I am ending up with 2 equations and 3 unknowns. How can I eliminate the variables?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
My knowledge on this is a bit rusty. Taking the moment about point A, I know for BC I would have: 600*T_(BC)
I am not sure about the others, but here is my guess: [itex]ƩM_A=0.6*T_{BC}+0.6*(600/650)*T_{AC}-0.6*480+0.6*(2/5)*P=0[/itex]

Is this correct?
 
You need to use the critical condition that the cables remain taut. If P is too small for that, which cable will go slack? What if P is too great?
 
Setting P=0, it seems that cable AC will go slack. I am not sure about if P is too great. It looks like it would be BC. I am still confused.
 
yaro99 said:
Setting P=0, it seems that cable AC will go slack. I am not sure about if P is too great. It looks like it would be BC. I am still confused.
You may be confused, but you're getting there :smile:. So what equation do you get for BC going slack?
 
haruspex said:
You may be confused, but you're getting there :smile:. So what equation do you get for BC going slack?

This is where I'm confused. I took an arbitrarily large number and set it equal to P. Plugging this into both equations, T_(BC) becomes a large negative value. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly.
 
yaro99 said:

Homework Statement


Two cables are tied together at C and loaded as shown. Determine the range of values of P for which both cables remain taut.
FAyAUGD.png



Homework Equations


[itex]\Sigma F_x=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=0[/itex]


The Attempt at a Solution


[itex]\Sigma F_x=\frac{ 4 }{ 5 }*P-\frac{ 600 }{ 650 }*T_{AC}=0[/itex]
[itex]\Sigma F_y=\frac{ 250 }{ 200 }*T_{AC}+T_{BC}+\frac{ 3 }{ 5 }*P-480=0[/itex]

I am ending up with 2 equations and 3 unknowns. How can I eliminate the variables?

Your coefficient of TAC in the y force balance is incorrect. It should be 250/650.

Solve this pair of equations for TAC and TBC as a function of P. Make a graph or a table of TAC and TBC versus P. Each of the cables will go slack if the tension in the cable is less than zero. Find out the range of P that makes this happen for each of the cables. For example, you can immediately see from the x- force balance that cable AC will go slack if P is less than zero.
 
yaro99 said:
This is where I'm confused. I took an arbitrarily large number and set it equal to P. Plugging this into both equations, T_(BC) becomes a large negative value. Not sure if I'm doing this correctly.
You don't need to try plugging in an arbitrary value for P. As P increases from 0, what will TBC be at the point where BC goes slack?
(Also, note the correction Chestermiller mentions to your Fy equation.)
 
Chestermiller said:
Your coefficient of TAC in the y force balance is incorrect. It should be 250/650.

Solve this pair of equations for TAC and TBC as a function of P. Make a graph or a table of TAC and TBC versus P. Each of the cables will go slack if the tension in the cable is less than zero. Find out the range of P that makes this happen for each of the cables. For example, you can immediately see from the x- force balance that cable AC will go slack if P is less than zero.

Thank you! I did this and got the correct answer. Here is what I did:

I rearranged the equations like this:
[itex]T_{AC}=P*\frac{4}{5}*\frac{650}{600}[/itex]
[itex]T_{BC}=480-\frac{250}{650}*T_{AC}-\frac{3}{5}*P[/itex]


Then I created these tables:
T89jO50.png


Since T_BC is positive at P=514 and negative at P=515, 514 must be the maximum value of P.

Is this the only way to do this problem? Is there any easier method that takes less time?
 
haruspex said:
You don't need to try plugging in an arbitrary value for P. As P increases from 0, what will TBC be at the point where BC goes slack?
(Also, note the correction Chestermiller mentions to your Fy equation.)

TBC would be 0 where BC goes slack. But then what do I set TAC equal to?
 
yaro99 said:
TBC would be 0 where BC goes slack. But then what do I set TAC equal to?
With TBC = 0 you now have two equations and two unknowns. Solve them.
 
haruspex said:
With TBC = 0 you now have two equations and two unknowns. Solve them.

Ah, right, I wasn't thinking :redface:

Indeed this yields the same answer. Thanks!