What is the minimum stopping distance

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a load of steel on a truck and the minimum stopping distance needed to prevent it from sliding into the cab. The formula F = ma is needed to solve the problem, with F representing the maximum horizontal force of 8000 N and m representing the mass of the load at 6000 kg. The conversation also suggests drawing a diagram and using kinematics equations to find the maximum acceleration and stopping distance, with a final answer of 150 m.
emily69_420
I have gotten stuck on this problem because I can't figure out the formula to solve it so really all i need is the formula. I've read the book but i have this class online and have no instructor...please help if you can.
Heres the Problem:
A load of steel with a mass of 6000 kg rests on a flatbed of a truck. It is held in place by metal brackets that can exert a maximum horizontal force of 8000 N. When the truck is traveling 20 m/s, what is the minimum stopping distance if the load is not to slide foreward into the cab?

Physics news on Phys.org
F = ma.

Here's a start. You know the F is 8000N. You know that the weight of the load from gravity (which has a=32 ft/sec sec) is 6000N. So what is the acceleration that results from a force of 8000N?

Carl

8000/6000=a?

You'll find that it works really well to draw out a diagram on this one. Remember that the block is also traveling at 20 m/s.

Ok i think i figured it out but i am getting two different answers when i do the problem...i got 150 m and 156 m can someone tell me if i might be close to the answer?

F=ma
You have the mass of the load already so you can find the maximum acceleration

Find the maximum acceleration you can have without the straps breaking. Then calculate the stopping distance using your kinematics equations.

I get 150 m as an answer

Last edited:

Related to What is the minimum stopping distance

1. What is the minimum stopping distance?

The minimum stopping distance is the shortest distance a vehicle can come to a complete stop from a given speed without colliding with any obstacles or objects.

2. How is the minimum stopping distance calculated?

The minimum stopping distance is calculated by taking into account the speed of the vehicle, the reaction time of the driver, and the braking distance of the vehicle.

3. What factors affect the minimum stopping distance?

The main factors that affect the minimum stopping distance include the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the road surface, the weight and condition of the vehicle, and the reaction time of the driver.

4. Why is it important to know the minimum stopping distance?

Knowing the minimum stopping distance is important for drivers to understand the safe braking distance required for their vehicle. It also helps drivers to maintain a safe following distance and react appropriately in emergency situations.

5. Can the minimum stopping distance be improved?

Yes, the minimum stopping distance can be improved by maintaining a safe speed, regularly maintaining the vehicle's brakes, and practicing good driving habits such as avoiding distractions and keeping a safe following distance.