What is the most accurate way to measure pushing force for a trolley on wheels?

• Thread starter monstereyebrows
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the person is new to physics and is asking if they can use weighing scales mounted on a trolley to measure the pushing force required to move it. They also ask if it's possible to calculate the force needed to start and keep the trolley moving based on its weight. Other users suggest using a spring scale or a Newtonmeter, but caution that it may be difficult to accurately calculate the force due to the complexity of the trolley's mechanisms.
monstereyebrows
Hi I am new to physics so be gentle!

I am involved in training people in lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling.

My question is: If I wanted to measure the pushing force required to move a trolley/cage/bin on wheels could I use a pair of weighing scales mounted on the trolley/cage/bin to measure the force?

2nd question: If I know the weight of the trolley/cage and its load weight is it posible to do a basic calculation of the pushing force required to start to move the trolley and the force to keep it moving. Or would I always have to measure it presisely?

many thanks for your replies.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by monstereyebrows
Hi I am new to physics so be gentle!
Welcome! Glad to have you here. :smile:
My question is: If I wanted to measure the pushing force required to move a trolley/cage/bin on wheels could I use a pair of weighing scales mounted on the trolley/cage/bin to measure the force?
In principle, yes, you can glue bathroom scales to the trolley and use them to measure the force necessary to get the train moving. All an "ideal" bathroom scale does is display the force applied to its top surface -- in other words, the force "squeezing" its top and bottom surfaces together. In practice, however, bathroom scales may not work mounted horizontally, or they may be wildly inaccurate. Besides, I think bathroom scales only go to a few hundred pounds. A more precise measuring tool is a spring scale -- you attach one end to the trolley, and pull on the free end of the spring. The amount the spring stretches is a measure of the force applied to it. Of course, I'm not sure where you would get such a spring... maybe someone else has some practical engineering expertise. Strain gauges maybe?
2nd question: If I know the weight of the trolley/cage and its load weight is it posible to do a basic calculation of the pushing force required to start to move the trolley and the force to keep it moving. Or would I always have to measure it presisely?
If the trolley were just a block of wood sliding on a surface, you could easily calculate the force required, considering the coefficient of friction between the wood and the surface.

However, the trolley is quite a bit more complicated. The friction experienced by the trolley is due to the bearings of its axles and the deformation of the wheels and track as it rolls. These are very complex mechanisms, and probably, well, virtually impossible to calculate with any success.

- Warren

Yes it'd proably be a lot easier to use a Newtonmeter as they are designed to measure just these sort of things. I've got no idea where to get one of these from, but I don't imagine they're too difficult to get hold of.

Originally posted by jcsd
Yes it'd proably be a lot easier to use a Newtonmeter
...but make sure you express your trolley in joules.

- Warren

Another thing about Newtonmeters, make sure you get one that can measure the sorts of forces that are involved as they come in all sorts of different ranges.

I suppose the name 'Newton meter' wouldn't be used in the US as it's the exact same spelling as the unit of torque, but in the UK they're called Newton meters:

http://www.scalesontheweb.co.uk/products_list.asp?Tquest=1&catid=82&MenuLinkName=Salter%20Brecknell%20Newton%20Meters

edited to add link and change text

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are pushing and pulling forces?

Pushing and pulling forces are two types of forces that act upon objects to cause them to move. Pushing forces occur when an object is pushed away from the source of the force, while pulling forces occur when an object is pulled towards the source of the force.

2. What are some examples of pushing and pulling forces in daily life?

Examples of pushing forces include pushing a shopping cart, kicking a soccer ball, and pushing a door open. Examples of pulling forces include pulling a door closed, pulling a wagon, and pulling a drawer open.

3. How do pushing and pulling forces affect motion?

Pushing and pulling forces can either cause an object to start moving, stop moving, or change its direction of motion. The direction and strength of the force determine how an object will move.

4. What is the difference between pushing and pulling forces?

The main difference between pushing and pulling forces is the direction in which the force is applied. Pushing forces act away from the source of the force, while pulling forces act towards the source of the force. Additionally, pushing forces are typically applied with hands or feet, while pulling forces can be applied with hands, ropes, or other objects.

5. How can we measure the strength of pushing and pulling forces?

The strength of pushing and pulling forces can be measured using a device called a force meter or a spring scale. These devices measure the amount of force in units called Newtons (N).