What is the most useful method to solve differential equations?

In summary, the most useful method to solve differential equations is to assume a solution and to know the answer in rough outline.
Anonymous_
TL;DR Summary
I really love Laplace transformations. I was able to solve first and second order differential equations easily while having fun. I’m not so sure why but it just came to me naturally.
What is yours?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anonymous_ said:
Summary:: I really love Laplace transformations. I was able to solve first and second order differential equations easily while having fun. I’m not so sure why but it just came to me naturally.

What is yours?

Attachments

• 90839C95-9B1E-4FD3-BE2C-4C47E932114A.png
    90839C95-9B1E-4FD3-BE2C-4C47E932114A.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 423
The best is to hand it to someone else to solve. :-)

• Haha
Likes member 587159, Auto-Didact, Schwann and 2 others
jedishrfu said:
I call it teamwork: Others do the work, I take the credit ;).

• Informative
Likes Auto-Didact and jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
Isn't that what this forum is for?
Anonymous, there is no one method that will apply to all differential equations. Even the Laplace transform method only applies to linear differential equations with constant coefficients. And I think there are other methods (characteristic equation for the associated homogeneous equation, "variation of parameters" or "undetermined coefficients") for those that work better than Laplace transform.

Likes chwala, jasonRF and jedishrfu
Popular method is "ask AI friend for help". Mathematica is knowledgeable and willing to help

Likes jasonRF
MATHEMATICA

zoki85 said:
Popular method is "ask AI friend for help". Mathematica is knowledgeable and willing to help
A related technique is looking it up in a book. This was a go-to method in graduate school many years ago - how else would I know the solution was a parabolic cylinder function, or some other uncommon beast?

Likes jedishrfu
What is the most useful method to solve differential equations?

Assume a solution of the form...

• Haha
Likes DaveE
Vanadium 50 said:

In other words: know the answer. At least in rough outline, then you can hammer the rough form into an exact fit.

I have often thought that presenting differential equations as a 'subject' that has 'methods' of 'solving' is a bit of a fraud.
The same thing for that matter for simple integration of functions.

That sometimes books are more honest, perhaps this is intentional by the authors, when excercises say "find solutions" rather than "solve".

I think if I were teaching to people not mathematicians but heavy maths users like engineers, chemists etc. I would follow any equation of the subject of interest with the solution, which the students can verify by differentiation, which is a genuine subject they should have learned (and which by the way we are continually telling them to do when they come here asking whether their solutions are correct) instead of pretending to 'solve' it. And advise them to do the same in their reading or studying their subject.

hide.gif

Vanadium 50 said:
I had a professor that called this "the method of guessing." So that is what I usually call it.

Back to the OP, the method of Frobenius is pretty nice. I recall it being tedious when I learned it, but (25 years after taking the class!) actually had a need to use it for my work fairly recently and thought it was kind of fun. It allowed me to compute the solution of a "simple" problem to any accuracy I wanted, so that I could use it as a test case to validate a numerical simulation I will be using to solve problems that are impossible to solve analytically.

For partial differential equation there is '' the method of characteristics ''. It is very useful (typically it applies to first order equations).

Ssnow

Likes jasonRF

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is an equation that relates an unknown function to its derivatives. It is used to model various physical and mathematical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. Why is it important to solve differential equations?

Solving differential equations allows us to understand and predict the behavior of systems and processes in various fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It also helps us develop new theories and make advancements in these fields.

3. What are the different methods to solve differential equations?

There are several methods to solve differential equations, including separation of variables, substitution, integration, and numerical methods. Each method has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of equations.

4. What is the most useful method to solve differential equations?

The most useful method to solve differential equations depends on the type and complexity of the equation. In general, numerical methods are more versatile and can be applied to a wide range of equations, while analytical methods, such as separation of variables, are more efficient for simpler equations.

5. Are there any software or tools available to solve differential equations?

Yes, there are many software and tools available to solve differential equations, such as MATLAB, Mathematica, and Wolfram Alpha. These tools use numerical methods to solve differential equations and can handle complex equations with high accuracy.