What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

In summary, the conversation consists of various discussions about documentaries, the acquisition of National Geographic by Fox, a funny manual translation, cutting sandwiches, a question about the proof of the infinitude of primes, and a realization about the similarity between PF and PDG symbols. The conversation also touches on multitasking and the uniqueness of the number two as a prime number.
  • #10,921
WWGD said:
Strange setup in my friend's place. He uses keys to _ exit_ his apartment.
This has be used as an anti-theft strategy.
Thief needs a key to leave through the door with your stuff.

Likes WWGD
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #10,922
pinball1970 said:
Having to use a key for that is wrong. It should be as simple as possible.
How is turning a key - that is already in - more complicated than turning a deadbolt?

Likes fresh_42
  • #10,923
jack action said:
How is turning a key - that is already in - more complicated than turning a deadbolt?
Key can break off. Or it could be the wrong key... :wink:

Likes pinball1970
  • #10,924
Why doesn't someone come up with an app to find parking spots in mega parking lots in shopping centers? Maybe the cost of all the semdors, and relaying data, requiring WiFi?

• #10,925
jack action said:
Yes sounds simple enough but when the place is hot full of smoke, no vision, you do not want to be grasping for a small key.

Likes collinsmark and WWGD
  • #10,926
WWGD said:
Why doesn't someone come up with an app to find parking spots in mega parking lots in shopping centers? Maybe the cost of all the semdors, and relaying data, requiring WiFi?
Exists. Not an app, but I know at least two parking lots with according traffic lights: green for available slots, and red for occupied sections.

Likes Borg
  • #10,927
fresh_42 said:
Exists. Not an app, but I know at least two parking lots with according traffic lights: green for available slots, and red for occupied sections.
It would be great if it could be applied city-wide. I'd heard one of the main sources of traffic in L.A was cars going about looking for parking spaces.

Wonder, though, if the law of " If you build it, they will come" applies to parking spaces, as it applies to road construction.

• #10,928
fresh_42 said:
Wonder if it uses some sensors or just basic counting. If you know you have n spots, you can subtract 1 for every ticket issued by the machine,and add 1 each time someone leaves. Then you get green when ##n\geq 1 ##, and red for ##n=0##.

• #10,929
WWGD said:
Wonder if it uses some sensors or just basic counting. If you know you have n spots, you can subtract 1 for every ticket issued by the machine,and add 1 each time someone leaves. Then you get green when ##n\geq 1 ##, and red for ##n=0##.
Those I know use simple counting mechanisms, pre-AI, and pre-camera detection. E.g. the parking lot at the airport has a ticket machine with a boom gate for every 60 cars or so per parking section. It counts. You can see free and occupied sections on your way. I wonder how the one at the university hospital works. It has lights on every floor but only a single boom gate at the entrance. But I can't remember having seen cameras.

• #10,930
We have something similar in my area. Sensor on the parking spot with an indicator light above. Just look for a green light.

Likes fresh_42
  • #10,931
Borg said:
We have something similar in my area. Sensor on the parking spot with an indicator light above. Just look for a green light.
Ah! Sensors that is!

• #10,932
Borg said:
Thing is, if it's a parking lot giving tickets, if there's only one spot available, it may still allow two cars in, one will end up without a spot.

• #10,933
WWGD said:
There is indeed an app for that. I don't know if it got past the Beta testing stage, but it has been worked on as a commercial application. I'll see if I can find it...

Likes WWGD
  • #10,934
berkeman said:
There is indeed an app for that. I don't know if it got past the Beta testing stage, but it has been worked on as a commercial application. I'll see if I can find it...
Thank you. It brings to mind an old post about the difference between electric and electronic, the latter involving a control system, IIRC/IIUC.

• #10,935
Hmm, after a quick search, I think the app I'm thinking of was just in development at the time. I think my company helped them with some networking issues, and they were using multiple cameras per parking area/garage to be able to recognize open spots. It looks like it was not commercialized. The closest thing I found was this, which I think is more for city street parking...

https://spothero.com/

Likes WWGD
  • #10,936
Kind of weird, noticed how there are several last names around the animal " Wolf". I remember : Volpe, Lupo, Wolf itself, Wulf, Wolff, Lobo. Likely more in languages I don't speak.

• #10,937
I joined this forum years ago at the beginning of my undergraduate program. Now, I am almost graduated. Sometimes, I think about where the other students and users who joined with me are (mainly, one genius boy that i can't renember the user, but people will know who i am talking about).

Likes collinsmark, berkeman and pinball1970
  • #10,938
LCSphysicist said:
I joined this forum years ago at the beginning of my undergraduate program. Now, I am almost graduated. Sometimes, I think about where the other students and users who joined with me are (mainly, one genius boy that i can't renember the user, but people will know who i am talking about).
Nice you have been here the whole time.

• Care
Likes LCSphysicist
  • #10,939
LCSphysicist said:
You may be referring to @WannabeNewton
Or similar name. I miss @zoobyshoe. I checked his avatar and he last posted in 2017.

• #10,940
WWGD said:
You may be referring to @WannabeNewton
Or similar name. I miss @zoobyshoe. I checked his avatar and he last posted in 2017.
Actually, I have remembered the username. Ethotepi? Something like that. The users you mentioned aren't near my age, but i do remember the first one.

• #10,941
LCSphysicist said:
Actually, I have remembered the username. Ethotepi? Something like that. The users you mentioned aren't near my age, but i do remember the first one.
The ones I mentioned join in the 2000-2010 era, and were active through around 2018. Notice PF was started by Greg B in 2001.

• #10,942
My friend complains his wife, who's around a foot shorter than him and some 100 lbs lighter, expects him to eat the same amount of food as her. I agree with him, though I can't think of the multiple by which his amount should be larger, but it certainly should be larger.

• #10,943
LCSphysicist said:
Probably Etothepi (E to the pi)?

• #10,944
I think it's @etotheipi

• #10,945
LCSphysicist said:
It was @etotheipi, it is now @ergospherical and still active as of last month.

• Informative
Likes Frabjous
  • #10,946
this reminds me, I have been wondering about @anorlunda , have not seen any posts from him in a while now. Checking, I see his last post was in February. Hope he's OK!

Likes pinball1970, berkeman and BillTre
  • #10,947
How about @zoobyshoe or @WannabeNewton?
They last posted in 2017, 2018 respectively. Any one know what happened to them?

• #10,948
gmax137 said:
this reminds me, I have been wondering about @anorlunda , have not seen any posts from him in a while now. Checking, I see his last post was in February. Hope he's OK!
He replied to my e-mail and says he is doing fine and thanks for the concern. He has found a new passion at some specialized websites, hence the reduced participation here at PF.

• #10,949
berkeman said:
found a new passion at some specialized websites
Interesting euphemism :wink:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, Tom.G, nuuskur and 1 other person
  • #10,950
Frabjous said:
Interesting euphemism :wink:
No, no, no. Not *that* kind of website... Sheesh! :wink:

• Wow
  • Haha
Likes pinball1970 and gmax137
  • #10,951
I have no problem watching American shows, even the propaganda TV from Bellisarius. But when they act like they are in Europe, it's almost unbearable. It is always so entirely wrong. It really hurts.

• #10,952
fresh_42 said:
I have no problem watching American shows, even the propaganda TV from Bellisarius. But when they act like they are in Europe, it's almost unbearable. It is always so entirely wrong. It really hurts.
The ones when they act like they're in the US are pretty wrong too.

• Haha
Likes BillTre and berkeman
  • #10,953

• #10,954
I was asked whether it was possible to design a roulette with the numbers 0 through 31, so that consecutive numbers add to a square. All I could think is to draw a graph with vertices numbered 0 through 31, and drawing an edge between vertices vi, vj , if i+j is a square. And then see if there's a subcircuit spanning all vertices. But I'm too lazy to look up if that is an Eulerian or Hamilton inn circuit, and the conditions needed for their existence in the given graph.