What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 751K views
I like BS-Bingo. Unfortunately, I assume lunatic is out of competition. To know the branch would have helped.
Here's my proposal for the banking sector:

Leverage
under
non-standard
conditional
home-markets

For more science related topics, one could replace the last one by hypotheses.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm trying to say lunch without actually saying it. I sent this one to my wife:

Longitudinal
Users
Nonworking
Considerations
Huddle
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Borg said:
I'm trying to say lunch without actually saying it. I sent this one to my wife:

Longitudinal
Users
Nonworking
Considerations
Huddle

I like this, but would modify it to:
Local
Users
Nutritional
Consumption
Huddle
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42 and Borg
BillTre said:
I like this, but would modify it to:
Local
Users
Nutritional
Consumption
Huddle
That's what I'm talking about. :oldlaugh:
 
Google "early 20th century american astronomers" with the quotation marks. Sehr interessant.
 
What do you mean? I know that my English punctuation isn't the best :sorry:
upload_2018-3-1_20-58-52.png
 
Attachments
  • upload_2018-3-1_20-58-52.png
    upload_2018-3-1_20-58-52.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 430
fresh_42 said:
What do you mean?
I really was looking for early 20th century American astronomers, not grammar lessons.
 
This guy asks me directions in the subway. I repeat patiently for almost 10 minutes. Then he just walks out of the station ?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: StoneTemplePython
fresh_42 said:
good old Wiki?
American. Here I've finally accepted that computers/search engines can do my sorting for me, and I have to do it? It seems like an appropriately constrained inquiry/search, and such an incongruous result. Perhaps it's a function of political correctness.
 
Bystander said:
American. Here I've finally accepted that computers/search engines can do my sorting for me, and I have to do it? It seems like an appropriately constrained inquiry/search, and such an incongruous result. Perhaps it's a function of political correctness.
Remember that Google customizes searches using your search history.
 
fresh_42 said:
astronomers+USA+19th
Still forgetting the "plus" syntax; get a whole different set of results. Use it all the time for "imdb."
 
WWGD said:
And/or to find the name of their favorite artist: actor/singer, etc. Do a search for any name ; when you enter a first name, Google will most likely suggest the last name of an artist. Similar for searches of any sort. EDIT: Re reinforcing prejudices, you have Google contributing to that: it tracks your search history and gives you results that somehow " best fit" your previous searches. It then keeps you in a small neighborhood of your experience set, of your previous searches.

WWGD said:
Remember that Google customizes searches using your search history.
Always make a point of moving past Google's "lazy/customized/assumed" approach.
 
Bystander said:
Always make a point of moving past Google's "lazy/customized/assumed" approach.
How so? How do you do it? EDIT: Other than using a different search engine?
 
WWGD said:
How so? How do you do it?
Keep typing until it's no longer offering the auto-completions.
 
Bystander said:
Keep typing until it's no longer offering the auto-completions.
I always thought of how far down the answer you are looking for as a measure of how close to the mainstream you are: If what you are looking for is in the first listing, you are _the_ mainstream. If you repeatedly need to scroll down, you are pretty far away from the mainstream.
 
WWGD said:
I always thought of how far down the answer you are looking for as a measure of how close to the mainstream you are: If what you are looking for is in the first listing, you are _the_ mainstream. If you repeatedly need to scroll down, you are pretty far away from the mainstream.
I regularly use Google as a connection test. Therefore I use words which guarantee me answers. Not the words I'm usually searching for.
My reputation at Google is definitely ruined.
 
There are obviously as many ways "to google" as there are "googlers."
 
I am remembering a nice sequence that generates all composites: S_n := 1+2+...+n ( Not easy to see without the closed form).

I remember I tried to determine a while back whether ##10^n+1 ; n>2 ## was always composite. Can't remember if I did or whether it is true. EDIT/UPDATE: True thru around n=45. My programming is too primitive to even do this. This means that in lazy, impatient Math, it _is_ true. EDIT2: It seems to be an open problem.
 
Last edited:
Bystander said:
There are obviously as many ways "to google" as there are "googlers."
I most often " Duck-Duckgo" instead of Googling. But I tend to get poor quality results from Google searches.
 
fresh_42 said:
I regularly use Google as a connection test. Therefore I use words which guarantee me answers. Not the words I'm usually searching for.
My reputation at Google is definitely ruined.

BTW a word or phrase for which there is no google result is called a Googlenope

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Googlenope

I just got one with "effervescent peach berries"

One for which there is only one result is called a Goolewhack: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Googlewhack

I don't know even where to start...
 
Googlenope du jour -
the YAHOO spammers that are harassing me "honanmolviantebeauties.com"

i'm about to set an email filter to automatically forward them all to CEO of Yahoo's parent company Verizon, one Lowell McAdam
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Ibix
dkotschessaa said:
darnit. I forgot to be no PF again.

hello
Hello! Life getting in the way of important stuff like PF?
 
Had a surprisingly bad night (woken several times by acid indigestion) a couple of nights ago. Today my wife picked up a magazine off the the coffee table and a ranitidine tablet fell off it, somehow having been hidden in the illustration on the front. It's good to know the explanation for the bad night; medication works better if you actually take it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Jonathan Scott said:
medication works better if you actually take it.
No kidding?:olduhh:
 
Would be nicely isomorphic if Demetrius' younger brother was called Decentimetrius. I offered to name my brother's son Denefiu , given the daughter ( my niece) was called Denise. Denise and Denefiu. I think I would never forget their names.
 
They claim the word "paying" in "paying attention" is used because the process of attending uses up resources ( so one must pay with resources). But why, then, is the word "pay" or equivalent not used in all languages?