What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 752K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
CME:=??fresh_42 said:
- 20,819
- 28,467
Common Malware EnumerationWWGD said:CME:=??
If a big CME isn't malware I don't know what else should be one. Btw. I first had an interesting typo "maleware". Hm, pore ...
Psinter
- 278
- 785
A little bit now and a little bit 10 years later.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
But the original point came about a story on TV about a group of comedians including Andy Kaufman. Someone saw the comedians and thought they were all insane from their act. He said ( of all except Andy Kaufman) : They look crazy but after their act, you sit with them, have a few beers and you realize it's all an act. With Andy Kaufman, you talk with him after his act and he seems even crazier than on stage.
- 13,926
- 16,804
##\aleph##?WWGD said:Wonder if those who selected names for generations painted themselves to a corner (approx) : X (1965-1981) , Y( 1982 -2002) Z, (2002-now) . What do you use for the one after Z?
- 13,926
- 16,804
Don't ##\beth## on it.WWGD said:Careful, you're entering the dark side of us Math people.
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 20,819
- 28,467
Gee, what's ##\gamma##?WWGD said:Yes, but when do you use ג unless you are a professional set theorists. Alephs, Beths, yes, but beyond that? Too obscure ( unlike most of what I post, right?).
- 20,819
- 28,467
I always wondered why nobody plundered the Cyrillic alphabet, at least those which are different like ж щ и л я ч ?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Yes, sounds reasonable, but there is a misfit of about 600 years:WWGD said:Maybe because it is what English letters look like when you are seriously drunk.
The world's first written mention of the drink and of the word "vodka" was in 1405 from Akta Grodzkie recorder of deeds, in the court documents from the Palatinate of Sandomierz in Poland and it went on to become a popular drink there.
Saints Cyril and Methodius (826–869, 815–885; Greek: Κύριλλος καὶ Μεθόδιος; Old Church Slavonic: Кѷриллъ и Меѳодїи[more]) were two brothers who were Byzantine Christian theologians and Christian missionaries. Through their work they influenced the cultural development of all Slavs, for which they received the title "Apostles to the Slavs".
Maybe Cyrillic is the reason why ... I think I'm on to something ...
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Still, don't most other Slavs use "Western" ( can't think of a better name) alphabet ?fresh_42 said:Yes, sounds reasonable, but there is a misfit of about 600 years:
The world's first written mention of the drink and of the word "vodka" was in 1405 from Akta Grodzkie recorder of deeds, in the court documents from the Palatinate of Sandomierz in Poland and it went on to become a popular drink there.
Saints Cyril and Methodius (826–869, 815–885; Greek: Κύριλλος καὶ Μεθόδιος; Old Church Slavonic: Кѷриллъ и Меѳодїи[more]) were two brothers who were Byzantine Christian theologians and Christian missionaries. Through their work they influenced the cultural development of all Slavs, for which they received the title "Apostles to the Slavs".
Maybe Cyrillic is the reason why ... I think I'm on to something ...
- 20,819
- 28,467
We call it Latin. "Most" measured in? Number of countries: not sure, as Yugoslavia has split into so many of them; number of people: probably not; area: definitely not. But to be honest, the alphabet isn't the problem. The real problem is the high number of different (t)sh-letters.WWGD said:Still, don't most other Slavs use "Western" ( can't think of a better name) alphabet ?
skyshrimp
- 39
- 122
Psinter
- 278
- 785
Did you know it may be possible to see in your house at night with all lights off?
Not sure if I already said it before, but I once had an accident and got dilating eye drops applied at the doctor. I could walk in the house at night with all lights off. You could totally see in the darkness. But it was weird when you looked yourself in the mirror because the eye just looked like a black hole with just a slim border. It was as if the iris had hidden. It looked like this when you looked yourself in the mirror, but of course, smaller:
So yes. Humans might be able to see in their house at night with all lights off and without a flashlight.
Not sure if I already said it before, but I once had an accident and got dilating eye drops applied at the doctor. I could walk in the house at night with all lights off. You could totally see in the darkness. But it was weird when you looked yourself in the mirror because the eye just looked like a black hole with just a slim border. It was as if the iris had hidden. It looked like this when you looked yourself in the mirror, but of course, smaller:
So yes. Humans might be able to see in their house at night with all lights off and without a flashlight.
Attachments
- 13,926
- 16,804
I don't know about transfinite puns, but I recall seeing a proof that the set of jokes has cardinality at least ##\aleph_0##. It's on the Lame Jokes thread somewhere.WWGD said:Ran out of transfinite puns
You know this one: "Did you know that there are 10 types of people in the world? Those who understand binary and those who don't." Someone offered an alternative punchline: "Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who thought this was going to be a joke about binary", to which another poster responded that this seems to be the skeleton of an inductive proof that there are jokes of this form for all bases - thus providing a set of jokes with cardinality ##\aleph_0##.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Ibix said:I don't know about transfinite puns, but I recall seeing a proof that the set of jokes has cardinality at least ##\aleph_0##. It's on the Lame Jokes thread somewhere.
You know this one: "Did you know that there are 10 types of people in the world? Those who understand binary and those who don't." Someone offered an alternative punchline: "Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who thought this was going to be a joke about binary", to which another poster responded that this seems to be the skeleton of an inductive proof that there are jokes of this form for all bases - thus providing a set of jokes with cardinality ##\aleph_0##.
I guess I got ways to go to check; I did my base-500 joke at the bus stop the other day. If people stop running away from me, I may be able to get to 1000, or maybe even higher!
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2