What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 757K views
This teenage girl been taking incredibly vigorously on the phone for around an hour without signs of stopping. Problem is she is sitting next to me. Whatever! Or is it However!?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm...how can I put it to the person who wrote me an email telling me she had some money in an account in Ghana, and she ...? She said she is waiting for my reply. How should I reply: I suggest you get a comfortable chair , because it will be a long #$% wait?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Evo
Evo, i just realized something: when we first talked to each other on this forum, the iphone did not exist yet

Damn time sure does fly by fast, no?
 
marlon said:
Evo, i just realized something: when we first talked to each other on this forum, the iphone did not exist yet

Damn time sure does fly by fast, no?
Yes, and we can have actual pictures and not just portraits for avatars ;).
 
WWGD, what does that stand for? Did we know each other here ?

Besides, that me in the pic
 
marlon said:
WWGD, what does that stand for? Did we know each other here ?

Besides, that me in the pic
No, sorry, just trying to get in on the joke on modernization, since your avatar seems like a portrait :).
 
Sorry bro, i just tend to look “antique”
Ladies like that, so i have been told
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
marlon said:
Evo, i just realized something: when we first talked to each other on this forum, the iphone did not exist yet

Damn time sure does fly by fast, no?
Those were good times though. :smile:
 
Yeah, they were

Damn i just read that both marcus and arildno passed away in the last years
I both knew them here quite well
Marcus helped me out on LQG intro
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: OmCheeto
Borek said:
Still kicking.
Aka: "I am still standing, Yea, Yea, Yea".
 
Why we love firemen!
5c7693945cb5f.image.jpg

"Ever wonder what happens when a car is parked in front of a fire hydrant and a fire breaks out?"

https://twitter.com/AnaheimFire?ref...itorial/330f7012-3a8e-11e9-9c7e-3f92f52c2449/
 
Attachments
  • 5c7693945cb5f.image.jpg
    5c7693945cb5f.image.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 397
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, WWGD and Borg
Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...
 
Ibix said:
Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...
Yeah. Even Rubinstein said after he had seen his first piano that he had looted folk and other sources. So it seems quite typical for Tchaikovsky.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
fresh_42 said:
Yeah. Even Rubinstein said after he had seen his first piano that he had looted folk and other sources. So it seems quite typical for Tchaikovsky.
Leonard Rubinstein was called Len Rubinstein . Now that I am learning Python, I just call him 9.
 
Freshmeister: Did I beat you in obscurit-y in
my last post? (len(Bernstein)=9)
 
WWGD said:
Freshmeister: Did I beat you in obscurit-y in
my last post? (len(Bernstein)=9)
len("Bernstein")==9, to be precise.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: collinsmark and Klystron
Ibix said:
Just been listening to Tchaikovsky's Violin Concerto, which I don't think I'd heard before. Can't believe how much he ripped off the Star Wars soundtrack. And the bits Tchaikovsky didn't take, that Holst joker put into Mars...

Into Mars? Whenever I listen to Neptune I hear Tatooine.
 
If you-all find classical music confusingly derivative, take a peek at fine Art.

The post-Impressionists alone cause me endless confusion: Monet, Manet both influenced by Camille Corot (or was it Condorcet?). Vincent van Gogh was best buds with Paul Gauguin or was it Paul Cezanne? The we have Seurat, Serusier and Signac all utterly cool painters whose names I cannot pronounce. Luce, Lavall, Lautrec, and Lemmen. To add to the confusion, they paint portraits of each other and insert each other in crowd scenes.

Landscape by Camille Pissarro.

639px-Camille_Pissarro_016.jpg
 
Attachments
  • 639px-Camille_Pissarro_016.jpg
    639px-Camille_Pissarro_016.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 411
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre
Klystron said:
o add to the confusion, they paint portraits of each other and insert each other in crowd scenes.
I only want to know: what did Miró and Kandinsky take?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron
Ibix said:
len("Bernstein")==9, to be precise.
Isn't it Len('Benstein')==
Anyway, my jokes are bad enough as it is to make them technically correct. I leave that for the programming section and give myself license in this one.
 
Wow. I was proud of my small proof that the product of 4 consecutive positive integers was never a perfect square. Then I heard Erdos et Al proved the product of consecutive positive integers _ is never a power of an integer_.
 
WWGD said:
Ibix said:
len("Bernstein")==9, to be precise.
Isn't it Len('Benstein')==

Actually in Python - both work OK.

That is, if works a bit better when you refer to him as Bernstein than Benstein, but let's not get too nitpicky.
 
WWGD said:
Isn't it Len('Benstein')==
Anyway, my jokes are bad enough as it is to make them technically correct. I leave that for the programming section and give myself license in this one.

Oh man, I finally got it. I thought it was some kind of Cockney rhyming slang.

Cheers
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: fresh_42, WWGD and Klystron
cosmik debris said:
Oh man, I finally got it. I thought it was some kind of Cockney rhyming slang.

Cheers
That's how "good" my jokes are :).
 
Borek said:
Actually in Python - both work OK.

That is, if works a bit better when you refer to him as Bernstein than Benstein, but let's not get too nitpicky.
I want to win at all costs, so I will say len("Benstein") == 8
 
WWGD said:
Isn't it Len('Benstein')==
Anyway, my jokes are bad enough as it is to make them technically correct. I leave that for the programming section and give myself license in this one.

License freely given. I have read that the Gran Maestro made jokes about his own name. When reporters shouted "Mister Bern-steen" he would turn and shout "stine!. That's birn-stine!". Or perhaps it was the other way around; I can never remember. :cool:
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
Klystron said:
License freely given. I have read that the Gran Maestro made jokes about his own name. When reporters shouted "Mister Bern-steen" he would turn turn and shout "stine!. That's birn-stine!". Or perhaps it was the other way around; I can never remember. :cool:
Or we can make it otherwise: Let's convince Al Franken to hook up his daughter with Ben Stein's son...

Though for name's sake, I always wanted a congressional committee formed by Akaka, Sununu, Shalala: Akaka-Sununu-Shalala. Sounds more interesting than any other I have seen so far.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Klystron