What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Evo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Random Thoughts
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 761K views
Here is what Wiki says (no collusion in 2029 but ...)
This close flyby will drastically change its orbit. However, the Earth will also cross the asteroid's new orbit on April 13th each year. There will be another approximation as early as 2036. The exact distance is not yet known as small uncertainties regarding the position on April 13, 2029, will quickly increase after the deflection.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
fresh_42 said:
Here is what Wiki says (no collusion in 2029 but ...)
Oh great. Now the asteroids are colluding.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Keith_McClary and Bystander
fresh_42 said:
Here is what Wiki says (no collusion in 2029 but ...)
In my phone now but will later check if it's a Tuesday or Friday 13th ( different in different countries). See how much superstition it will bring about.
 
WWGD said:
Is that the asteroid? I thought it had changed course?
If you have a problem with asteroids, just get some Preparation H.
 
fresh_42 said:
It's complicated, I think. AFAIK it will pass by, except it will pass through a certain area a few years earlier. Something like that.
Seems these collisions are so delicate, even 10 minutes or so can make a big difference.
 
Ivan Seeking said:
If you have a problem with asteroids, just get some Preparation H.
I thought that was for As# Teroids.
 
If you have a problem with klingons, just call Capt Kirk.

I saw an interview where William Shatner talked about life after Star Trek ended. He went through a divorce [IIRC] and ended up living in a trailer park not far from my home. Holy cow! It dawned on me that I could have ridden my bicycle to Capt Kirk's house!
 
Ivan Seeking said:
If you have a problem with klingons, just call Capt Kirk.

I saw an interview where William Shatner talked about life after Star Trek ended. He went through a divorce [IIRC] and ended up living in a trailer park not far from my home. Holy cow! It dawned on me that I could have ridden my bicycle to Capt Kirk's house!
Why not " materialize" in his trailer? Sorry, not that much of a fan of the show so don't remember the precise terminology.

But I remember hearing that his attempt at humor towards his fans " Get a Life" backfired.
 
Shatner is still working at 90 years old. He must have a passion for it.
 
gmax137 said:
Shatner is still working at 90 years old. He must have a passion for it.
I've once read an interview in which he said that he never cared a lot about money and always worked if he needed to.
 
gmax137 said:
Shatner is still working at 90 years old. He must have a passion for it.
You mean: Shatner. Is. Still working. At. ...;).

I enjoyed his choice of. Personalizing. Punctuation. And. Emphasis. On. Whichever. Words. He. Decided to.
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: BillTre, gmax137 and berkeman
WWGD said:
You mean: Shatner. Is. Still working. At. ...;).

I enjoyed his choice of. Personalizing. Punctuation. And. Emphasis. On. Whichever. Words. He. Decided to.
I remember a phoney contest in Mad Magazine where the prize was "a semester at the William Shatner school of acting."
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Borg, Keith_McClary and WWGD
gmax137 said:
I remember a phoney contest in Mad Magazine where the prize was "a semester at the William Shatner school of acting."
Rip MAD. I wonder how those who worked there could transition to more traditional occupations.
 
Mad Magazine, and then the National Lampoon. Some of those were hilarious from front to back.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: WWGD
WWGD said:
Rip MAD. I wonder how those who worked there could transition to more traditional occupations.
I ask myself the same about the guys who made spongebob. Did they run out of weed?
 
fresh_42 said:
I ask myself the same about the guys who made spongebob. Did they run out of weed?
I agree that in general if you've watched most cartoons you have a good idea of what the pot/drug experience is like.
 
gmax137 said:
Mad Magazine, and then the National Lampoon. Some of those were hilarious from front to back.
Did you watch MadTv? I thought it had some pretty good stuff. And further back, " In Living Color" had some good stuff too. Not quite the same, but , hey, what you going to do? I ran into Living Color when someone recommend skits from Oswald Bates. I am glad I checked them out.
 
fresh_42 said:
I ask myself the same about the guys who made spongebob. Did they run out of weed?

 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: BillTre and fresh_42
fresh_42 said:
That explains the many disgusting close-ups.
What explains, though, that I sent a text time stamped at 5:15 p.m and the reply came back ( same time zone) time-stamped 5:08 p.m ?
 
WWGD said:
What explains, though, that I sent a text time stamped at 5:15 p.m and the reply came back ( same time zone) time-stamped 5:08 p.m ?
You're far too fast. You must slow down. I know it is difficult in a city like NYC where everybody is constantly in a hurry, but you have to force yourself. Don't travel back in time.
 
fresh_42 said:
You're far too fast. You must slow down. I know it is difficult in a city like NYC where everybody is constantly in a hurry, but you have to force yourself. Don't travel back in time.
I won't try to kill nor disturb my parents...
 
Why not use the last name ' Rowave' if your first name is Mike?