What is the normal force on an object being pushed into another object?

Neglecting friction on the small box.)The horizontal forces on the system are: 360N to the right (from the applied force) and 240N to the left (from friction on the big box). Net force is 120N to the right.Total mass of the system is 40kg, so acceleration is 120N/40kg = 3m/s/s.To find the individual accelerations, you would need the individual forces and masses of the boxes. But since the net force is acting on both boxes, they will have the same acceleration.
blaster0
Is there or what is the normal force on an object being pushed into another object?
Example:I push a 10kg box into a 30kg box with a force of 360N and only the second box receives a friction of 240N (the first one receives no friction), what will the acceleration of each of the individual boxes be.
(I would assume that the 10kg box is at 36m/s/s and the 30kg box at 4m/s/s,but would like verification).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds correct.

Seems like you assume that the only force on the 10kg box is the 360N force. Not so: There is a normal force between the two boxes--they exert forces on each other.

And do you really think the two boxes will have different accelerations?

So that makes some sense to me, but what would your answer be to that question? The exact wording is:
Two boxes of masses 10kg and 30kg are moving along a surface next to each other. There os a force of friction (magnitude 240 N) between the surface and the box of mass 30kg, but no friction between the surface the the box of mass 10kg. A force of 360 N is applied horizontally against the smaller box.
a)what is the acceleration of each box?
b)what is the force that the smaller box exerts on the larger box?
c)what is the force that the larger box exerts on the smaller box?

Thank you all for your help in advance

I want to hear your answers!
Hint 1: The boxes move with the same acceleration.
Hint 2: Newton's 2nd law applies to both boxes taken together and to each box separately.

Just a question what is normal reaction force?

Is there any difference between NORMAL force and NORMAL REACTION force?

bkvitha said:
Just a question what is normal reaction force?

Is there any difference between NORMAL force and NORMAL REACTION force?

The normal force is a reactive force.

Nope. There is no difference between normal force and normal reaction force. Normal force is also the reaction force due to forces on 2 interacting bodies.

The term is confusing to me. All forces are "reaction forces" to something. (Perhaps a better term is "active" versus "passive". For example: Gravity is an active force, whereas the normal force is a passive force.)

Presumably "normal reaction force" and normal force refer to the same force.

oh ok...

My school teacher told me there is no such thing as normal force and it is normal reaction force...but i started arguing with him,since , I did read it somewhere as normal force.

~sigh~

thank u!

bkvitha said:
oh ok...

My school teacher told me there is no such thing as normal force and it is normal reaction force...but i started arguing with him,since , I did read it somewhere as normal force.

~sigh~

thank u!

It is called 'normal' because it is perpendicular to the contact surface, so the word 'normal' tells you something about its direction, while 'reaction' implies that it is a reactive force. It's as simple as that. In the end, it really does not matter how you call it.

To me it's "Tomayto" or "Tomahto". Like radou said, it's called "normal" because of the normal vector, which is perpendicular. The term "reaction" is very vague, and I really don't use it very often (especially in kinematics, which the terms are so confusing already).

So I say "Tomayto"

right so i got:
a)3m/s/s
b)330N
c)330N

blaster0 said:
right so i got:
a)3m/s/s
b)330N
c)330N

pls explain...

anyways, lol, sorry i "borrowed" your thread!

bkvitha said:
pls explain...

anyways, lol, sorry i "borrowed" your thread!

Regarding a). The two boxes are now a system. They are moving together. Now, which forces are acting on that system (i.e. on these two boxes)? Which is the net force? What is the mass of the system? Just apply Newton's second law.

ok so 360N applied on small.
only 30N needed to push box at 3m/s/s so N=360N-330N=30N.
So 330 applied on big.
240 friction against it.
and obviously gravity and normal force on each.
So 30N used on 1st box 90N used on 2nd box and 240N to overcome friction.
This should be right.

bkvitha said:
oh ok...

~sigh~

thank u!
Your teacher is being silly.
Consider a box lying on a floor.
Here, you have a NORMAL FORCE couple, in that the box exerts a normal force on the floor, and the floor exerts a normal force on the box.
(Normal merely designates that the force is parallell with the surface normal.)
Whichever of these normal forces you designates as "action" or "reaction" is arbitrary.

radou said:
Regarding a). The two boxes are now a system. They are moving together. Now, which forces are acting on that system (i.e. on these two boxes)? Which is the net force? What is the mass of the system? Just apply Newton's second law.

so I must count both vertical and horizontal forces.
Thus the horizontal forces would be
the force applied on small box and fiction force of the big box
And the vertical forces will be,
normal force and the weight.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The vertical forces cancel--the boxes accelerate horizontally.

1. What is the definition of normal force?

The normal force is the perpendicular force exerted by a surface on an object in contact with it. It is also known as the support force or reaction force.

2. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force is equal to the weight of an object when it is at rest on a horizontal surface. When an object is pushed into another object, the normal force is equal to the force applied on the object, as long as the object does not move vertically.

3. Does the normal force change when an object is pushed into another object?

Yes, the normal force changes as the contact surface area between the two objects changes. The normal force increases as the contact area increases, and decreases as the contact area decreases.

4. What is the direction of the normal force?

The normal force always acts perpendicular to the surface of contact between two objects. If the surface is horizontal, the normal force acts vertically upward, and if the surface is tilted, the normal force acts perpendicular to the surface at the point of contact.

5. Can the normal force be greater than the force applied on an object?

Yes, the normal force can be greater than the force applied on an object if the surface is tilted or if the object is on an inclined plane. This is because the normal force must counteract the component of the applied force that is acting perpendicular to the surface of contact.