What is the pendulum's length?

• Thread starter BoostAdiction
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary, the bob of a simple pendulum has a potential energy of .196 J and a kinetic energy of .5 J when swinging at a speed of 0.5 rad/s.
BoostAdiction

Homework Statement

Suppose that a simple pendulum consists of a 50.0 g bob at the end of a cord of negligible mass. The angle (theta) between the cord and the vertical is given by: (theta)=(0.01000rad)cos[(5rad/s)t ], where t is time. A. What is the pendulum's length? B. What is the pendulums maximum potential energy? C. What is the maximum tension in the cord?

Homework Equations

PE=mgh
KE=1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part a. Part b is throwin me off. I know how to find the maximum kinetic energy (KE=5rad/s x .392m x .1 rad) I am confused as to how to find potential, and even more lost on the tension

Physics news on Phys.org
I have feel like mgh should equal KE because KE is energy in motion and the max potential of a pendulum would mean that its not moving right? As its about to swing the other way?

Hi BoostAdiction! :smile:

Yes, that 's right … or, to put it in more mathematical language, PE + KE = constant, so PE is maximum when KE is minimum … in this case, when KE = 0! :smile:

Hint: tension = radial component of weight minus acceleration … and the acceleration is … ? :smile:

Woot! So in this case...PE=KE and KE = 5rad/s x .392m x .1 rad which equals, .196 J meaning PE does as well..Hopefully. I am going to assume the acceleration is... 0.5 rad/s^2?

BoostAdiction said:
Im going to assume the acceleration is... 0.5 rad/s^2?

Can't work out how you got that … you should be using the formula for radial acceleration in circular motion … and it should depend on the angle. :smile:

Just made a guess on it :D. I can't find the radial acceleration in circular motion...all i found was the derivative of omega/derivative of t

Have you been taught acceleration = v²/r = ω²r? :smile:

Related to What is the pendulum's length?

1. What is the pendulum's length?

The pendulum's length is the distance from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the pendulum.

2. How does the pendulum's length affect its swing?

The length of a pendulum affects its swing by determining its period, or the time it takes for one complete swing. The longer the length, the slower the period, and the shorter the length, the faster the period.

3. How do you measure the pendulum's length?

The pendulum's length can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the pendulum. It is important to make sure the measurement is accurate for accurate results.

4. What is the relationship between the pendulum's length and its oscillation?

The relationship between the pendulum's length and its oscillation is inverse. This means that as the length increases, the oscillation decreases, and vice versa.

5. Why is the pendulum's length important in scientific experiments?

The pendulum's length is important in scientific experiments because it helps determine the effects of gravity and the relationship between length and period. It is also used to measure and compare different physical properties, such as acceleration and velocity.