Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: What is the potential difference between points a and b?

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Six identical capacitors with capacitance C are connected as shown in figure 30.68 (attachment). What is the potential difference between points a and b?

2. Relevant equations

C=Q/V

3. The attempt at a solution

The Cequivalent = 3/2 C

Therefore, Q = CV
    = (3/2C)(12)
    = 18 C

since capacitors in parallel have the same potential difference, the two capacitors that are in parallel between point a and b have the potential difference,

V = Q/C
    = 18C/(C)
    = 18

Thus, the two capacitors between point a and b, have a combined potential difference of 36V.

Is this correct?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    any ideas?

4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    i don't know, i agree with most of what your saying, but haven't done any calculations yet.
    when i read 'potential difference' the first thing that i think of is subtraction.
    since both capacitors have the same potential, then the difference of their potentials is zero.
    but i could be wrong... and probably am.
    i only have one attempt remaining in mastering physics so i don't want to test this theory until someone else does.

5. Feb 24, 2008 #4
    i was right,
    answer is 0 V

6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    got it, thanks!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook