1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the potential difference between points a and b?

1. Feb 23, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Six identical capacitors with capacitance C are connected as shown in figure 30.68 (attachment). What is the potential difference between points a and b?

2. Relevant equations

C=Q/V

3. The attempt at a solution

The Cequivalent = 3/2 C

Therefore, Q = CV
    = (3/2C)(12)
    = 18 C

since capacitors in parallel have the same potential difference, the two capacitors that are in parallel between point a and b have the potential difference,

V = Q/C
    = 18C/(C)
    = 18

Thus, the two capacitors between point a and b, have a combined potential difference of 36V.

Is this correct?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2008 #2
    any ideas?

4. Feb 24, 2008 #3
    i don't know, i agree with most of what your saying, but haven't done any calculations yet.
    when i read 'potential difference' the first thing that i think of is subtraction.
    since both capacitors have the same potential, then the difference of their potentials is zero.
    but i could be wrong... and probably am.
    i only have one attempt remaining in mastering physics so i don't want to test this theory until someone else does.

5. Feb 24, 2008 #4
    i was right,
    answer is 0 V

6. Feb 24, 2008 #5
    got it, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?