What is the potential difference between points a and b?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving six identical capacitors connected in a certain configuration and the calculation of potential difference between points a and b. The conversation includes equations and attempts at a solution, with the final answer being 0 V. The speaker also mentions having only one attempt left in a physics mastering program.
max1205

Homework Statement

Six identical capacitors with capacitance C are connected as shown in figure 30.68 (attachment). What is the potential difference between points a and b?

Homework Equations

C=Q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

The Cequivalent = 3/2 C

Therefore, Q = CV
= (3/2C)(12)
= 18 C

since capacitors in parallel have the same potential difference, the two capacitors that are in parallel between point a and b have the potential difference,

V = Q/C
= 18C/(C)
= 18

Thus, the two capacitors between point a and b, have a combined potential difference of 36V.

Is this correct?

Attachments

• figure 30.68.jpg
    figure 30.68.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 759
Physics news on Phys.org
any ideas?

i don't know, i agree with most of what your saying, but haven't done any calculations yet.
when i read 'potential difference' the first thing that i think of is subtraction.
since both capacitors have the same potential, then the difference of their potentials is zero.
but i could be wrong... and probably am.
i only have one attempt remaining in mastering physics so i don't want to test this theory until someone else does.

i was right,
answer is 0 V

got it, thanks!

FAQ: What is the potential difference between points a and b?

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electrical circuit.

2. How is potential difference measured?

Potential difference is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

3. What causes potential difference?

Potential difference is caused by the separation of positive and negative charges. This can occur through a variety of means, such as chemical reactions, friction, or electromagnetic induction.

4. How does potential difference affect current flow?

Potential difference is directly related to current flow through Ohm's law (V=IR). This means that a higher potential difference will result in a higher current flow.

5. Can potential difference be negative?

Yes, potential difference can be negative if the direction of current flow is opposite to the direction of the electric field. This is known as a reverse bias in a circuit.

Back