What is the probability of life in Universe?

In summary, most scientists believe that there is a high probability of life on other planets in the universe, but it is still very difficult to find evidence of it.
PaulS1950 said:
While playing with the odds may be "numerically" or scientifically correct I think (perhaps even believe) that life permeates our galaxy.

I will let you all go back to computing odds when you only know one small hand in a deck that is much larger than 52 cards.

It sounds like you think you're the only wisher in a sea of calculaters...

We all have our own beliefs about how abundant life is in the universe but those are private thoughts; there's little point in discussing them with others except when we wish to bolster my beliefs or defend them.

So, you've offered your opinion in a public place; so now you'll want to be defending it.

What makes you think life permeates the galaxy?

The Mars rock bacteria likely have the same origin as Earth bacteria - we still have only one abiogensis event.

"Carbon and hydrogen are found in abundance throughout the galaxy and all we need in addition to that is some form of energy and a solvent that will allow the chemicals to combine."

How do you know?

Space news on Phys.org
I kinda like the probabilities for life elsewhere in our galaxy. Not so sure about intelligent life. I give life a 100% probability, intelligent life is much less probable. Too many special conditions required. I believe many intelligient species have arisen within our galaxy over the past 10 billion years. I also believe it entirely possible we may be the only one still standing.

DaveC426913 said:
It sounds like you think you're the only wisher in a sea of calculaters...

We all have our own beliefs about how abundant life is in the universe but those are private thoughts; there's little point in discussing them with others except when we wish to bolster my beliefs or defend them.

So, you've offered your opinion in a public place; so now you'll want to be defending it.

What makes you think life permeates the galaxy?

The Mars rock bacteria likely have the same origin as Earth bacteria - we still have only one abiogensis event.

"Carbon and hydrogen are found in abundance throughout the galaxy and all we need in addition to that is some form of energy and a solvent that will allow the chemicals to combine."

How do you know?

I don't need to defend anything. As I stated some of what I was thinking I may not even believe myself. The parts I do believe are just that - belief. It needs no defence but that of my acceptance and reasons for that acceptance. I don't expect anyone else to believe what I do any more than I will just accept the beliefs of others.

As I stated in my post I don't believe that the "odds" being discussed can have much meaning because you/we (the human race) haven't enough facts to formulate meaningful statistics. Basing odds on our experience in a single star system when we haven't even studied all the planets and moons in our own system.