What is the radius of the circle?

In summary: It would be helpful if the problem said what the radius was supposed to be.In summary, the arc of 3 feet subtends a central angle of 1.8 radians. The radius of the circle is 20 inches.
GJBenn85
"Use the formula s = rθ ( "θ" is NOT an 8) to solve the following problem. An arc of 3 feet subtends a central angle of 1.8 radians. What is the radius of the circle?"

How do I do this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
GJBenn85 said:
"Use the formula s = rθ ( "θ" is NOT an 8) to solve the following problem. An arc of 3 feet subtends a central angle of 1.8 radians. What is the radius of the circle?"

How do I do this problem?

It might help to know what "the formula s = rθ" means.
(arc length)=(radius)(central angle subtended).

Could you do the problem if the angle is [tex]2\pi=2(3.1415...)[/tex] radians?

Nevermind...think I figured it out.

Radius of 1.666666667 feet, or 20 inches sound right?

GJBenn85 said:

Yes it does.

Alex

GJBenn85 said:

No it is not correct. Your given numbers have only 2 significant digits, how can you claim 10 digits? The correct answer should be 1.7 ft.

Copying all the digits which show up on your calculator is a very bad habit. Learn to give answers which reflect the significant digits of the problem.

Oh yeah, sorry I was talking about inches.

Integral said:
No it is not correct. Your given numbers have only 2 significant digits, how can you claim 10 digits? The correct answer should be 1.7 ft.

Copying all the digits which show up on your calculator is a very bad habit. Learn to give answers which reflect the significant digits of the problem.

He said "20 inches" which is to two significant figures!

GJBenn85: If you are taking calculus, you certainly should be able to solve and equation like s= rθ for r! I'm glad you wer able to figure it out.

HallsofIvy said:
GJBenn85: If you are taking calculus, you certainly should be able to solve and equation like s= rθ for r! .

I know. It was a case of me trying to turn a simple problem into a more complex one. For some reason, I was thinking i had to convert the 1.8 radians into something else. Simple things smack me in the face. :)

HallsofIvy said:
He said "20 inches" which is to two significant figures!
GJBenn85: If you are taking calculus, you certainly should be able to solve and equation like s= rθ for r! I'm glad you wer able to figure it out.

... not to split hairs .. but ...
20 inches has 1 significant figure
20. inches has 2 significant figures

PLUS .. many math classes don't require significant figures.. and if they do then the person has it so hammered into their head that they'd shudder at thinking about it .. AND .. writing all the digits from a calculator is a GOOD thing unless you're at a FINAL answer, and since there are most definitely 12 in / 1 ft, (a definition) ... then had the person done 1.7 ft it would be off and what if the measurements were given as exact values? ... values found in a theoretical sense of perfect measurements

stmoe said:
... not to split hairs .. but ...
20 inches has 1 significant figure
20. inches has 2 significant figures
PLUS .. many math classes don't require significant figures.. and if they do then the person has it so hammered into their head that they'd shudder at thinking about it .. AND .. writing all the digits from a calculator is a GOOD thing unless you're at a FINAL answer, and since there are most definitely 12 in / 1 ft, (a definition) ... then had the person done 1.7 ft it would be off and what if the measurements were given as exact values? ... values found in a theoretical sense of perfect measurements

Sometimes it is according to the teachers. Mine say three sigfigs, unless it specifically says different.

What is the radius of the circle?

The radius of a circle is the distance from the center of the circle to any point on the circle's circumference.

How is the radius of a circle calculated?

The radius of a circle can be calculated using the formula: r = C / 2π, where r is the radius, C is the circumference of the circle, and π is the mathematical constant pi (approximately 3.14).

What is the relationship between the radius and diameter of a circle?

The diameter of a circle is equal to twice the radius. In other words, the diameter is the distance across the circle through its center, while the radius is the distance from the center to the edge of the circle.

How can the radius of a circle be measured?

The radius of a circle can be measured using a ruler or measuring tape. Place the measuring tool on the center of the circle and extend it to the edge to determine the radius.

What is the unit of measurement for the radius of a circle?

The unit of measurement for the radius of a circle can vary, but it is typically measured in units such as inches, centimeters, or meters.