What is the relationship between angular velocity and tangential velocity?

In summary, to throw the discus, the thrower makes one revolution in 1.0s and the diameter of the circle is 1.7m. The angular acceleration is 6.28 rad/s^2 and the speed of the discus at release can be found using the equation \omega_f = \omega_i + \alpha t. To convert from radians per second to meters per second, the tangential velocity must be found by considering that a radian is a unitless measure of an angle.
rebeccc

Homework Statement

To throw the discus, the thrower holds the discus with a fully outstretched arm and makes one revolution as rapidly as possible to give maximum speed to the discus at release. The diameter of the circle in which the discus moves is about 1.7m.

If the thrower takes 1.0s to complete one revolution, starting from rest, what will be the speed of the discus at release?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular acceleration to be 2pi rad/s. I just don't know how to find the speed from there..

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rebeccc,

rebeccc said:

Homework Statement

To throw the discus, the thrower holds the discus with a fully outstretched arm and makes one revolution as rapidly as possible to give maximum speed to the discus at release. The diameter of the circle in which the discus moves is about 1.7m.

If the thrower takes 1.0s to complete one revolution, starting from rest, what will be the speed of the discus at release?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the angular acceleration to be 2pi rad/s. I just don't know how to find the speed from there..

I don't believe that angular acceleration is correct. What equations and numbers did you use to find it?

Okay, I re-worked it and found the angular acceleration to be 6.28 rad/s^2. I just don't know where to go from here to find the speed of the discus when it is released...

If anyone has any ideas.. I need help asap!

assuming your angular acceleration is correct. You can use the formula

[tex] \omega_f = \omega_i + \alpha t [/tex]

I have to have my answer in m/s which is really throwing me off.. I don't know how to get to m/s from rad/s. = (

Ahh so it wants the tangential velocity.
well think about what omega is.
It's radians per second. Then think about exactly what a radian is.

Hint:
1 radian is the arc length of the radius, so the total length of 1 radian = that of the radius.

Hint #2:
therefore omega = v/r

Related to What is the relationship between angular velocity and tangential velocity?

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement of a rotating object. It is usually measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (deg/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate of change of angular displacement, while linear velocity is a measure of the rate of change of linear displacement. Angular velocity is measured in rotational units, while linear velocity is measured in units of distance per time.

3. How is angular velocity of a discus calculated?

The angular velocity of a discus is calculated by dividing the angular displacement of the discus by the time it takes to complete one rotation. This can be represented by the formula ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is the angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angular displacement, and Δt is the change in time.

4. How does the mass of the discus affect its angular velocity?

The mass of the discus does not directly affect its angular velocity. However, a heavier discus may require more force to achieve the same angular velocity as a lighter discus due to its inertia. In other words, a heavier discus may require more torque to rotate at the same speed as a lighter discus.

5. What factors can affect the angular velocity of a discus?

The angular velocity of a discus can be affected by factors such as the initial force applied to it, the mass and distribution of the discus, air resistance, and the surface on which it is thrown. Other factors such as wind speed and direction can also have an impact on the discus's angular velocity.