What is the relationship between heat loss and resistivity in a cable?

Therefore, the longer the cable, the more resistance it will have. In this problem, cable D has the longest length, making it the correct answer. In summary, the resistance of a conductor can be found using the equation R = p*l/A, where p = resistivity, l = length of conductor, and A = cross sectional area of conductor. The longer the cable, the more resistance it will have, making cable D the correct answer.
dinhjeffrey

Homework Statement

http://img710.imageshack.us/i/2631001.jpg/

Homework Equations

p=I^2R
P=IV

The Attempt at a Solution

well, the answer is D, but i don't see why the length matters? can anyone find out the equation for this problem?
i thought it was B) cable B because it has more resistivity

Physics news on Phys.org
The resistance of a conductor can be found using the equation,

R = p*l/A

where R = resistance, p = resistivity, l = length of conductor, and A =cross sectional area of conductor.

Length matters because the longer a resistor is, the more it can obstruct the flow of charge.

1. What is heat loss?

Heat loss refers to the transfer of thermal energy from a warmer object to a cooler object. This transfer can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How is heat loss measured?

Heat loss is typically measured in units of watts (W) or British thermal units (BTUs) per hour (hr). This can be calculated using the heat transfer equation, which takes into account factors such as temperature difference, surface area, and thermal conductivity.

3. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is typically represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ) and is measured in units of ohm-meters (Ω·m).

4. How does resistivity affect heat loss in cables?

Resistivity plays a significant role in determining the amount of heat loss in cables. Higher resistivity materials will experience more heat loss, as they have a greater resistance to the flow of electric current. This results in more energy being converted to heat, which can lead to overheating and potential damage to the cable.

5. What factors affect the resistivity of a cable?

The resistivity of a cable can be affected by several factors, including the material used, the cross-sectional area of the cable, and the temperature. Generally, materials with higher resistivity, smaller cross-sectional areas, and higher temperatures will have higher resistivity and therefore experience more heat loss.