What is the Relationship Between Net Flux and Total Charge for a Cube?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 3K views
baird.lindsay
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



When is the net flux for a cube 0 and when is it not?


Homework Equations



∫EdA= Q/8.85E-12

The Attempt at a Solution



if you have no test charge then the flux of a cube is zero. but if you have a test charge then the net flux is the charge divided by 8.85E-12. I just want to make sure I am thinking about this correctly.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
baird.lindsay said:

Homework Statement



When is the net flux for a cube 0 and when is it not?


Homework Equations



∫EdA= Q/8.85E-12

The Attempt at a Solution



if you have no test charge then the flux of a cube is zero. but if you have a test charge then the net flux is the charge divided by 8.85E-12. I just want to make sure I am thinking about this correctly.
It has nothing to do with a test charge.

What does the Q represent in Gauss's Law? ##\displaystyle\ \int \vec{E}\cdot\vec{dA}=\frac{Q}{\varepsilon_0} \ ? ##
 
baird.lindsay said:
Q is the total charge...
The total charge of what? ... Where is this charge located?
 
So far you are on the right track... Just think about where the charge is in relation to your Gaussian Surface. It's very important that you understand this!
 
Look closely at the form of the Equation:


[itex]\oint[/itex][itex]\vec{E}[/itex][itex]\cdot[/itex][itex]\vec{dA}[/itex]


What are the implications of the closed integral?
 
SammyS said:
The total charge of what? ... Where is this charge located?

Q is the total charge enclosed by the surface. its located in the center of the surface...Im not sure I understand.