What is the relationship between orbital semi latus rectum and angular momentum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulties in understanding the semi latus rectum (P) in relation to orbiting objects' angular momentum. The speaker mentions getting different values when deriving P from other equations and inquires about the numbers and formulas used and their results. They also question if the variations could be due to rounding errors or uncertainties in measurement. The conversation also mentions using equations for apoapsis, periapsis, and the general equation for r, as well as trying to derive P from the semi major axis. The speaker asks if this places any limitations on the mass of the orbiting object and expresses confusion about how to determine these limitations.
Penguinluons
Hi. I have recently been trying my hands at calculating a few orbits but have encountered difficulties in trying to 'understand' the semi latus rectum.

P=h^2/GM

What does it have to do with the orbiting object's angular momentum? How come I get different values when I derive it from other equations? Please help me as I need to understand this to move on to elliptic orbits.

(Note: When I derived P from other equations, I got different values but they were all quite close to each other.)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Which numbers and formulas do you use to calculate the values and what are the results?
Penguinluons said:
(Note: When I derived P from other equations, I got different values but they were all quite close to each other.)
Could that come from rounding errors or measurement uncertainties?
Penguinluons said:
What does it have to do with the orbiting object's angular momentum?
Both describe some aspect of the orbital motion, what is surprising about equations involving both?

mfb said:
Which numbers and formulas do you use to calculate the values and what are the results?
Could that come from rounding errors or measurement uncertainties?
Both describe some aspect of the orbital motion, what is surprising about equations involving both?

I used the equations for apoapsis and periapsis as well as the general equation r=P/1+e cosθ. I tried deriving p from the semi major axis as well.e had an accuracy of about 10 digits. It was an elliptic orbit. Does this therefore place limitations on the mass of my orbiting object?

That does not answer my questions.

And I don't understand how you want to get limitations on a mass.

What is Orbital Semi Latus Rectum?

Orbital Semi Latus Rectum is a term used in orbital mechanics to describe the shape of an elliptical orbit. It represents the distance from the center of the orbit to the point of closest approach to the central body, divided by half the length of the semi-major axis.

How is Orbital Semi Latus Rectum calculated?

Orbital Semi Latus Rectum is calculated using the formula: p = a(1 - e^2), where p is the semi-latus rectum, a is the semi-major axis, and e is the eccentricity of the orbit. This calculation is important in determining the shape and size of an orbit.

What is the significance of Orbital Semi Latus Rectum?

Orbital Semi Latus Rectum is an important parameter in orbital mechanics as it helps us understand the shape and size of an elliptical orbit. It also plays a crucial role in determining the velocity and trajectory of an object in orbit.

How does Orbital Semi Latus Rectum differ from Semi-major Axis?

While the semi-major axis represents the distance from the center of the orbit to the farthest point, the semi-latus rectum represents the distance from the center to the closest point. Additionally, the semi-major axis is constant for a given orbit, while the semi-latus rectum can vary depending on the eccentricity of the orbit.

How does Orbital Semi Latus Rectum impact space missions?

Orbital Semi Latus Rectum plays a crucial role in planning and executing space missions. It helps determine the necessary velocity and trajectory for a spacecraft to reach its destination and maintain its orbit. It is also used in calculating the fuel requirements for orbital maneuvers.