What Is the Simplest Way to Compute i Raised to the Power of i?

• Thread starter SeanofWar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, there are multiple values for calculating "I" to the "I" power, but mathematicians often use the principal value, which is defined as \exp(y \log x) and is not multivalued. This is also the case when calculating i^i, where the principal value is e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}. However, there are other possible values such as e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}+2\pi n}.
SeanofWar
Solving "I" to the "I" power

What is the proper formula to calculate "I" to the "I" power? I have seen numerous formulas, however, I was curious if someone could provide me with the simplest solution.

Physics news on Phys.org

In complex analysis, the (multi-valued) function [itex]x^y[/itex] is defined to be [itex]\exp(y \log x)[/itex]...

Note that [itex]i=e^{\frac{\pi i}{2}}[/itex], so [itex]i^{i}=e^{i\frac{\pi i}{2}}[/itex]

Hunt_mat, that's only half the story. As Hurkyl noted, the complex exponential is multiple-valued, so we must not forget that.

dextercioby said:
Hunt_mat, that's only half the story. As Hurkyl noted, the complex exponential is multiple-valued, so we must not forget that.

A typo: it's the logarithm that's multiple valued :smile: but you knew that of course.

Anyway, while it is certainly true that [itex]a^b[/itex] has multiple values for complex numbers, mathematicians sometimes pick one value as a principal value. That is, they define

[tex]a^b=e^{bLog(a)}[/tex]

where Log is the principal branch of the logarithm, which is not multivalued (since we restricted it).

We consider the principal values of [itex]a^b[/itex] in the Riemann-zeta function, for example, where

[tex]\zeta (z)=\sum{\frac{1}{n^z}}[/tex]

there we take the exponentiation to be the principal value, and not the multi-valued one. The value

[tex]i^i=e^{-\frac{\pi}{2}}[/tex]

that hunt_mat gave was the principal value. If you type i^i in google, you will see that they also return the principal value.

I'm not saying that anybody did anything wrong here. But I just wanted to tell the OP that there are multiple values of ab, but that we often restrict these multiple values to get a principal value.

How about
[tex]
i^{i}=e^{i\left(\frac{i\pi}{2}+2n\pi i \right)}
[/tex]

Related to What Is the Simplest Way to Compute i Raised to the Power of i?

1. What does it mean to solve for "I to the I power"?

"I to the I power" refers to the imaginary number, i, raised to the power of itself. It is often represented as i^i or i^2.

2. Is it possible to solve for "I to the I power"?

Yes, it is possible to solve for "I to the I power" using exponential rules and complex numbers. The result is a complex number with a real and imaginary component.

3. What is the value of "I to the I power"?

The value of "I to the I power" is approximately 0.2079 + 0.8623i. This value is a complex number and cannot be simplified further.

4. What is the significance of "I to the I power" in mathematics?

"I to the I power" has no specific significance in mathematics, but it is often used in complex analysis and other advanced mathematical concepts. It can also be used in solving certain problems in physics and engineering.

5. Can "I to the I power" be simplified to a real number?

No, "I to the I power" cannot be simplified to a real number. It will always have a real and imaginary component, making it a complex number.