1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the speed of the traveler ?

1. Jul 11, 2008 #1
    if an object is speeding away from another what is the speed of the traveler if the time dialtion is 1 day = 1000 years. how do i calculate this ?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2008 #2

Fredrik

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is "the traveler" one of the two objects? (I.e. are you asking for the speed of one of the objects in an inertial frame where the other object is stationary). Is this a homework question? Do you know the formula for time dilation?

4. Jul 11, 2008 #3

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi kevinlatt ! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Show us what formulas you know, and what calculations you've tried so far, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

5. Jul 17, 2008 #4
    no this is not home work. no i do not know the time dilation formula. yes the traveller is one of the objects. it is a theory idea i am personally interested in and ihave no way to prove it. can you help

6. Jul 18, 2008 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kevinlatt!

Time dilation at speed v:

[tex]\sqrt{1\ -\ v^2/c^2}[/tex] :smile:

7. Jul 18, 2008 #6

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Or just use this:
    http://www.1728.com/reltivty.htm

BTW, your answer will be more a matter of how many 9's there are in the decimal fraction of c (I get at least 11).

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?