What is the speed with kinetic energy

In summary, the conversation is about finding the speed of a 0.145 kg baseball with a kinetic energy of 105 J. The kinetic energy equation is used to set up the problem and it is discovered that there may be a 10 percent error.
kadavis2010

Homework Statement

What is the speed of a 0.145 kg baseball if it's kinetic energy is 105 J? Answer units in of m/s

Homework Equations

kinetic energy = 1/2mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

105= 1/2(0.145)v^2
105= .0725v^2
v= 36.06

Physics news on Phys.org
What seems to be the problem? I would check that arithmetic again, with a calculator if possible.

Agreed, check your numbers.

Well it's an online assignment so it imediantly tells me if i am right or wrong... I did it with a calculator several times... What am I doing wrong?

Use your answer, plug it back into the KE equation, and tell us what you get. You might find a 10 percent error.

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy that an object possesses due to its motion. It is the energy that an object has when it is in motion and is dependent on its mass and velocity.

2. How is kinetic energy related to speed?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to the square of the speed of an object. This means that as the speed of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases.

3. What is the equation for calculating kinetic energy?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is the mass of the object, and v is the velocity or speed of the object.

4. Does the mass of an object affect its kinetic energy?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its kinetic energy. The higher the mass of an object, the more kinetic energy it will have at the same speed compared to an object with a lower mass.

5. How does kinetic energy change when the speed of an object changes?

If the speed of an object increases, its kinetic energy also increases. Similarly, if the speed of an object decreases, its kinetic energy also decreases. This shows the direct relationship between speed and kinetic energy.