What is the tension in the wire?

In summary, the street lamp has a weight of 150N and is held up by two wires at a 120° angle. Each wire contributes 75N to the vertical force needed to support the lamp, resulting in a combined tension of 150N. This is shown through a force diagram with three forces each at a 120° angle, all pulling with the same force.
Psyguy22
There is a street lamp that weighs 150N. The two wires that are attached to it form at 120°. What is the tension on the wires?

So i drew a diagram. Since the force of gravity acting on the lamp is 150N down, there must be an equal opposite force acting at 150N up.
Then I drew a right triangle and it a 30-60-90. (The 120° was bisected by the upward force).
Then I said that sin(30)=150/T. Then T=150/sin(30) which equals 300N. Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Psyguy22! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Psyguy22 said:
Then I said that sin(30)=150/T. Then T=150/sin(30) which equals 300N. Is this right?

Almost. :rolleyes:

there are two wires … :wink:

so would I divide 300 by 2? That would give me 150N again though?

Hi Psyguy22! :smile:
Psyguy22 said:
so would I divide 300 by 2? That would give me 150N again though?

Let's see …

2Tsin30° = 150 N

so T = 150N …​

what's worrying you about that? :confused:

From the triangles I drew, I thought that each wire had 300N

not sure how you get that from triangles :confused:

remember, each triangle only gets half of the 150 N weight :wink:

HOw do I post attachments to show what I drew. I don't know if I'm completely understanding what your saying

Each wire has tension T and makes an angle of 60 degrees to the vertical (at least, that has been assumed; it's not clear in the problem statement). What contribution does each wire make to the vertical force needed to support the lamp?

Wouldn't they both have to contribute 150N? But they don't act directly upwards. Wouldn't there combined tension be more that 150N
I tried watching khanacademy and both his examples, the tension in the wires was more then the actual weight of the object.

Psyguy22 said:
Wouldn't they both have to contribute 150N? But they don't act directly upwards. Wouldn't there combined tension be more that 150N
I tried watching khanacademy and both his examples, the tension in the wires was more then the actual weight of the object.
They only have to match 150N in total, so why would each need to contribute 150N vertically?

I guess I do not know. So would I put that each one only contributes 75N vertically?
Then 75/sin(30)= 150N is this right?

Psyguy22 said:
I guess I do not know. So would I put that each one only contributes 75N vertically?
Then 75/sin(30)= 150N is this right?
Sounds right to me. Look at what that gives you in your force diagram. Three forces each 120 degrees from its neighbours, all pulling with the same force.

Ok. Thank you! I really like to make sure I understand what I am doing so thanks for all your help!:)

What is the tension in the wire?

The tension in a wire refers to the amount of force applied to the wire in order to keep it stretched and taut. It is often measured in units of newtons (N).

What factors affect the tension in a wire?

The tension in a wire is affected by several factors, including the material and thickness of the wire, the length and angle at which it is stretched, and the amount of weight or force applied to the wire.

Why is understanding tension important in scientific research?

Understanding tension is important in scientific research because it allows us to predict and control the behavior of materials and structures under different conditions. It is also crucial in fields such as engineering and physics, where precise measurements of tension are necessary for accurate calculations and experiments.

How is tension different from compression?

Tension and compression are two opposing forces that act on a material. Tension refers to the force that pulls or stretches a material, while compression refers to the force that pushes or squeezes it. In general, materials are stronger in tension than in compression.

What are some real-life examples of tension in action?

Tension is present in many everyday situations, such as when a person is hanging from a rope, or when a bowstring is pulled back. It is also important in structures such as bridges and buildings, where the tension in cables and beams helps to distribute weight and support the structure.